Small pot, big beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasemacek

Reaction score
So the other day I did my first all grain. A Hefeweisen, it's chugging along nicely and I'm very happy. But I ran out of room in my kettle, i only have a 5 gallon and filled it up until I was scared of over flowing. but after boiling it for an hour and filtering out some of the solids I was left with less than 4 gallons!!

Now I know i could have added in some extra water, but i really didn't want to compromise the integrity of my precious brew. After racking to secondary i only have 3.5 gallons!

So my question is, should i invest in a 8 or 10 gallon kettle? and boil 6 or 7 gallons of wort, any extra is better than not enough i guess.

Recipe Share!!

Pagan Holiday Hefeweizen
4 pounds Pale Wheat
4 Pounds Belgian style pilsner

.3 oz hallerton 60 mins
.5 oz tettnang 20 mins
.3 oz hallerton 20 mins

2 pulped and pasturized oranges
1 orange peel, minimal white
.3 oz corriander

OG 1.1 second reading 1.06 FG

The bigger you get, the better, as long as you can get it up to a boil. I have a 8 gallon kettle and its not big enough... I mean, I can get enough water to a boil, but it's a ***** to keep it from boiling over. I'd suggest 10 gallons of you plan on doing 5 gallon batches.

I agree 8 would not enough of an upgrade to be worth while. 10 is the minimum for an all grain 5 gallon batch... I have a 15 which I love...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back