Small particles in mash water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyBeers

Reaction score
I’m prepping my Grainfather for the brew tomorrow morning. Cleaned it, rinsed, sanitized…

For one, I’ve cleaned this sucker multiple times and I’m still wiping off what appears to be manufacturing oil when I wipe the bottom with a paper towel. Seems like every single time. Thin layer of faint black residue.

After what I thought was perfectly clean, I filled with my spring water and added my 5.2 ph additive. I looked back in after mixing and noticed a few tiny black specs floating around, and I can’t get them out.

How much does little particles of random matter effect the brew? Should I dump and start over?

I had a stainless steel vessel for over a year and cleaned it to what I thought was really good. I used PBW in hot water for the first time after a year. White paper towel came out black. I had never used PBW because it was expensive. I figured oxyclean would do just fine.

Hot PWB is hard to beat.

There’s a recipe for making your own with oxyclean and TSP, but I’d recommend just getting the real thing.

I had a stainless steel vessel for over a year and cleaned it to what I thought was really good. I used PBW in hot water for the first time after a year. White paper towel came out black. I had never used PBW because it was expensive. I figured oxyclean would do just fine.

Hot PWB is hard to beat.

There’s a recipe for making your own with oxyclean and TSP, but I’d recommend just getting the real thing.

Thank you, I do use PBW and even heat it up with the grain father and recirculate for 10 minutes. I even used a wire scrub pad… multiple times… mystery I guess. Or maybe I need a year!

I have an old 10 gallon Polar Ware pot. I clean it with Bar Keepers Friend after each use and let it air dry. I wipe it out with a paper towel afterward, always has black on it. I believe it is oxidation.

It could be the 5.2 pH Stabilizer product. By the way, it has been proven to be pretty much worthless.

I retesting about the oxidation comment from Zuz.

Also, I’ve heard the 5.2 doesn’t really work, need to research a bit more about it.

Back