Small fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsigmon1103

Reaction score
So don't laugh. :0)
I'm brewing 2-3 gallon batches and am looking to make my own fermenter. I plan to use SS but should I use 316 or is 304 good enough? I want to have the bottom sloped away from the spout so when I tip the ferm to get every last drop out, it will hopefully decrease the amount of trub I get in those last few bottles. May change the spout and lid, but wanted thoughts on material and theory.

image-3951581992.jpg

Are you building this yourself? You have welding experience? Why not follow the conventional conical design?

You should build a 6+ gallon fermenter so that if you ever brew larger batches, it will still be useful. I continuously look at my older equipment and regret that I spent time and money on items that I no longer use.

A 1/6 barrel sanke keg would do the job for the small batch sizes. 1/4 barrel works very well for 6.5-7 gallon batch sizes. They also provide you with enough head space to not worry. Plus the bottom is already cone shaped (not as deep, but still works very well).

benbradford said:
Are you building this yourself? You have welding experience? Why not follow the conventional conical design?

You should build a 6+ gallon fermenter so that if you ever brew larger batches, it will still be useful. I continuously look at my older equipment and regret that I spent time and money on items that I no longer use.

I work for a sheet metal fab shop in the drafting dept. my shop will be doing some of the work. I'll be taking care of the design. I thoughts about making something bigger for expansion. Actually first I drew up plans for a conical.

Lucky_Chicken said:
are you bottling right out of the fermenter?

I second the build a conical vote, and the build it bigger vote.

Yes bottling right from the ferm.

id go with the conical simply because i doubt you'd be able to use the space very efficiently in a kettle like that with the needed slope to actually avoid any additional trub. i think the 60 degree slope on a conical is that way because any less (within some tolerance) allows yest and trub to stick.

i could be wrong though... just what i recall reading.

Yes bottling right from the ferm.

I'd say conical over a flat bottom vessel too. A conical will afford you the opportunity to remove yeast/trub without leaning/sloshing/guessing.

Either way, unless you are planning on using carb drops, I think you'd have better results racking to a bottling bucket than bottling right out of a primary vessel.

id go with the conical simply because i doubt you'd be able to use the space very efficiently in a kettle like that with the needed slope to actually avoid any additional trub. i think the 60 degree slope on a conical is that way because any less (within some tolerance) allows yest and trub to stick.

i could be wrong though... just what i recall reading.

+1 - Gravity isn't strong enough to keep your trub in the low point. It will stick all along a slope like that.
So, you'd need more slope if you did it this way, and if you redesign it with that much slope, you may as well just build a conical at that point.

Or come up with something genius and make a quick million ;)
Dibs?

Latest posts

Back