Small batches on Kal clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locklearmj

Reaction score
In the process of planning a Kal clone build. Have any of you guys done 2.5-3 gallon batches on one? I would like to try and brew small "pilot batches" so I can brew more often, and tweak recipes before brewing a full 5-10 gallon batch.

How much wort does it generally take to cover the BK element? As long as the BK element is submerged, the only other issue I can think of would be that the HLT would still need to be full as to cover the HERMS coil, but that's not a big deal. I'm planning on using the 80qt Concord kettles FYI.

Thanks!

I use keggles. It's about 2 gallons to cover my BK element. You'd want another gallon at least above when you boil.

But....given that it won't take you longer to brew 5gal batches, and the cost of ingredients is quite low, couldn't you brew full 5gal batches and give away some of it (for the cost of ingredients)? I find no shortage of friends wanting decent homebrew. It also helps with quality control feedback!

If you have a full Kal clone (meaning 20 gallon Boilermakers) then it probably can't handle 2.5-3 gallons, as the element sits right around the 5 gallon mark, meaning it would not be submerged and it would not work.

Mashing grain for only 2.5-3 gallons in a 20 gallon MLT could also be problematic, but I don't know for sure.

Agreed with the comments above.. brewing 2.5 to 3 gallons in 20 gallons (80 qt) pots is going to be problematic.

Kal

I think the best thing to do pilot batches on is to brew using extract on a stove using a small pot. Extract recipes can be easily converted to all grain later on.

Unless you have very narrow and tall kettles, the 3 gallons you plan on brewing won't cover the elements properly and you risk burning them out and/or scorching your wort.

I think the best thing to do pilot batches on is to brew using extract on a stove using a small pot. Extract recipes can be easily converted to all grain later on.
Unless you brew the same way with the same ingredients, you'll get taste differences you never expected to get.

You can't really 'convert' an extract recipe to all-grain and expect it to taste the same given that extract is dehydrated wort and there are limited extracts available to begin with. Some of the lighter/more delicate beers you can't even begin to make correctly with extract.

Then there's all the variables that come into play with all grain such as mash temperature, ph, etc (something you can only do with all-grain).

I think doing small extract batches to test out what it'll taste like when you move up to larger all-grain batches is a very poor way to test recipes. Sorry!

Kal

Unless you brew the same way with the same ingredients, you'll get taste differences you never expected to get.

You can't really 'convert' an extract recipe to all-grain and expect it to taste the same given that extract is dehydrated wort and there are limited extracts available to begin with. Some of the lighter/more delicate beers you can't even begin to make correctly with extract.

Then there's all the variables that come into play with all grain such as mash temperature, ph, etc (something you can only do with all-grain).

I think doing small extract batches to test out what it'll taste like when you move up to larger all-grain batches is a very poor way to test recipes. Sorry!

Kal

I would agree 100% with Kal on this when it comes to extract vs all-grain for testing recipes if consistency with scaling them up is your goal. You really need to do all grain small batch testing if you are doing proof of concept batches for scaling up to larger all-grain and want to keep the taste profile intact as you go larger.

On the kal setup for a 2.5/3 gallon gallon batch:
I also have a kal clone and there is no way I could do a 2.5 gallon batch on it. It just is too small to even cover the element properly.
5 gallon batches is as low as I would go on my kal system and even then, I would consider doing that 5 gallon batch with a hot rod/heat stick on the kitchen stove in a smaller pot rather than in my kal setup (and I usually do my 5 gallon batches on different gear than my kal clone).
Just my .02 on this..

Something the OP may want to consider is just doing 5 gallon batches from the start as the minimum size... The differences between 2.5 or 3 to 5 isn't overly large. I'm sure all your beers will be great anyway! ;)

Kal

Thanks guys for confirming what I already figured, that brewing batches that small would be problematic. I'll just stick with 5-10 gallon batches.

I built an E-kettle out of a Bayou Classic 8 gallon pot. The element is about at 1.5 gallons. I usually brew 3 gallon batches. I can do 5 gallon batches, but a 90 min boil starts pushing a possible boil over. My boil off is 1 gal/hr.

My MLT is a 15 gallon Tall Boy kettle with a false bottom. For low abv 3 gallon batches, the grain bed gets thin. I use a RIMs to maintain temp.

For both the kettle and MLT I tried to find kettles that were tall and narrow.

W

Back