Small batch in large fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalak

Reaction score
I've not really brewed mead before (there was one spectacular failure 20 years ago in college, but I don't talk about it), and really want to make a small, 1 gallon batch to try. Doing a full-up 5 gallon batch isn't practical right now for other reasons.

I have a 1 gallon glass jug that'll work as a secondary fermenter, but nothing small enough to use as a primary. Can I get away with the plastic bucket I use for brewing 5 gallon beer batches (www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Buckets-Lids/Plastic-Fermenter-6.html#.VYXG9pOd1F8)? Or will the large surface area-to-volume ration make this not work? I'd rather not buy another fermenter just for this small run.

Thoughts?

I've done as you are thinking, although you might want to pick up another gallon jug by whatever means (apple juice/cider, jug o' wine, or a new 1 gal from homebrew supply shop)for additional racking...have never had a problem with primarying a small batch in a large vessel, as there's a lot of CO2 being thrown off...but, yeah, you want an appropriate sized for secondary, for sure. Am sure there will be folks who might disagree with me, but you should be fine

I'd use a smaller fermentor. That much headspace is asking for bigger problems, aside from the higher oxidation rate. Or split over 2 fermentors. For secondaries you can use appropriately sized bottles for any leftover mead that doesn't fit in the 1 gallon jug after racking.

Back