Small batch 100% Brett L fermentation (starter or not)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjacobsen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did some searching but wasn't able to fully get an answer to my question. I'm relatively new to all grain brewing. For my next brew I want to do a little playing around with different yeast strains. So I intend to brew a 5 gallon batch of Heretic Brewing's Porter. The anticipated OG is in the 1.065-1.070 range. I intend to split it into 3 two gallon buckets and do 3 different yeasts. These will include chico/us-05 (as recommended), Wyeast 3711, and a 100% Brett L from Wyeast (5526).

Looks like I won't need more than 1 packet of yeast for the first two because of the small bath size. However, for the Brett, I'm not sure if I should do a small starter. The Wyeast smackpack should already be an overpitch based on ale pitching rates. However, I've read that it's good to pitch a BIG starter when doing 100% brett beers.

What would you do? Should I be fine as is, or do I need an even larger cell count? I don't have a stir plate yet, so if I do a starter it might not be done in the most efficient manner.

Incidentally, I wasn't planning on doing the Brett L fermentation until I read this post on a 100% brett L stout that sounded really cool. http://citybrewer.blogspot.com/2009/05/tasting-100-brett-l-stout.html

Thanks for your time and cheers! -Jack

Probably fine. Those packs are "meant" for 5 gallons of wort up to 1.065 (If I remember correctly).

Back