Small amount of priming sugar...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsan

Reaction score
Is there any amount of sugar you can add to give just a little carbing to the point you wouldn't have to pasteurize? Or is any sugar addition an automatic pasteurization?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Use a brew calculator and stay under 3 volumes CO2 for regular beer bottles.

Sent from my MB886 using Home Brew mobile app

Use a brew calculator and stay under 3 volumes CO2 for regular beer bottles.

Sent from my MB886 using Home Brew mobile app

that's assuming you fermented dry, and did not backsweeten with any fermentables

that's assuming you fermented dry, and did not backsweeten with any fermentables

So if I used Notty I can't prime with 3/4 cup of priming sugar?

Sure you could. IF the cider is done, and the FG is unchanging and the cider is clear (notty drops out pretty well when it's done working).

Been in the primary for six weeks...

Been in the primary for six weeks...

I come from a wine making rather than beer making background so length of time in the primary is irrelevant. You ferment in the primary til the gravity drops close to 1.000 then you rack to a carboy you can seal with a bung and airlock. I keep my cider in the secondary a couple of months and then rack again and repeat. The yeast is still viable although it may be dormant, so if I want to carb my cider I add about 1 oz of sugar / gallon. Given the dormancy of the yeast and the cool temperatures at which I store my wines, meads and ciders it can take a good month or more for the carbonating sugars to ferment. But this is not a beer and aging improves cider.

Can you cold crash and still bottle prime afterwards?

Just wondering if enough yeast will remain to carbonate.

I'm confused then...is the pasteurization method for those who want a more sweet product? And, if one is satisfied with a dry cider that has some beer-like carbonation, they can just prime like beer and not worry about boiling or exploding bottles (provided the fermentation is done)?

If this is the case, life just got a whole hell of a lot easier...I don't like sweet cider :)

Can someone confirm? Yooper perhaps?

I'm confused then...is the pasteurization method for those who want a more sweet product? And, if one is satisfied with a dry cider that has some beer-like carbonation, they can just prime like beer and not worry about boiling or exploding bottles (provided the fermentation is done)?

If this is the case, life just got a whole hell of a lot easier...I don't like sweet cider :)

Can someone confirm? Yooper perhaps?

Exactly. If you want a carbonated, dry or even semi-dry cider, no need to pasteurize; just prime & bottle like beer.
Regards, GF.

If you want to sweeten you can use xylitol as the yeast will not ferment this. Then prime as usual and bottle

So I've been pasteurizing unnecessarily from day one... I usually let my ciders bulk age for a couple months before bottling... Then been pasteurizing with minimal amounts of priming sugar after a week or so... Can't wait to start a new batch then :)

Back