Small All Grain Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schendela

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone. What are some of the smaller all grain setups. We are currently doing 5 gallon batches via extract brewing, but I want to step up into the all grain brewing. Can I utilize some of our old equipment, ie the 5 gallon kettle?
I can think that if I did this, I would be going to even smaller batches, but that might now be a bad thing going to all grain for a while.
Thank You.

Your post is very confusing. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...

But, if you're doing 5 gallon AG batches, you'll need a larger kettle, at a bare minimum 8 gallons. You can certainly do smaller, say 2.5 gallon, batches with that brew kettle.

If you're doing 5 gallon AG batches, you really don't need a ton of equipment. Assuming you already have all the equipment for extract brewing, additional equipment that you'll need:
larger kettle (at least 8 gallon, preferably 10 gallon or larger)
mash tun (IMO, at least 10 gallon)

This is really about all you'll need in additional equipment to get started with AG, assuming you batch sparge, not fly... Which is superior in my opinion anyhow. Eventually you'll want to get more equipment, such as a grain mill, but that's not necessary to begin with.

I am a seasonal brewer who does partial mash and all grain on the stovetop.
Here's a basic rundown on my hardware ....

I have two stainless steel brew kettles, a 7.5gal ANVIL with false bottom and ball valve, and one 5 gal stockpot. The ANVIL kettle can serve two functions as mash tun and boil kettle. This allows me to do step mashes and decoctions using the second pot.
I have two 3gal, one 5gal, and one 6gal glass carboy fermenters. One plastic fermenting bucket from an earlier kit is used for utensil sanitation and the second bucket with spigot, bottling wand, and auto siphon gets my bottling done - with 5 dozen 22oz. bottles and capper.

I'm thinking of moving to a Cornelius keg setup with CO2 carbing because it's so much easier, but haven't bought it yet. It would allow me to dispense with bottling for the most part, saving space, work, and time.

I do 5 gallon all grains

I have a 8 gallon kettle
5 gallon Hot liquor tank
5 gallon mash tun

not doing any super high gravity beers but that is not my style anyway

I sourced a bunch of scrap metal over a year and welded up a 3 tier system
gravity fed 2 burner

IF you do right, and kick designs over in your head a while, it is not something you need to spend thousands of dollars on

Yep, your mash tun and boil kettle will limit your choice and size of brews.
Same as above, I tend to stick with 5 gallons or less of light to pale beers, no more than 6-7%ABV at most. I have to take my space, stove, and water into consideration ... that, and I don't tend to share my beer because it's done to my personal preference.

can use ur existing boil kettle for 2.75 gal batches. i mash in a 5 gallon igloo and usually can no-sparge for og's lower than 1.065. helpful to save time. i ferment in 3 gallon carboys and havent had a blowout cept for using wlp 090

I mostly make 5 gallon batches. I love my 15.5 gallon keggle. It's great for mostly eliminating boil overs. I think you are on the right track. All grain does take longer, but I enjoy the process. I don't make my own recipes as there are so many great ones here in the recipe section. But that is just me. Do what you like and make what you like. Unlike most things in life.... this is all about you.
Brew on

All you need is a BIAB bag an some grain and you can brew all grain with what you have.
Simple way to get started:
- Choose any 5 gallon recipe and cut it in half.
-Use the strike water temperature calculator on the Green bay Rackers web site
-Put about 4 gallons of water in your kettle, heat to the strike temp, turn off the heat, put in the bag and then the crushed grain, stir it up real good, put the lid on and wrap the whole thing up in and old sleeping bag and don't mess with it for an hour or so.
-Pull the bag out, turn on the heat and start your boil.
Get a couple of batches done then see if you want to keep doing it that way, want to add a cooler, want to do sparges, want more volume or maybe you'll be happy keeping it simple.

All you need is a BIAB bag an some grain and you can brew all grain with what you have.
Simple way to get started:
- Choose any 5 gallon recipe and cut it in half.
-Use the strike water temperature calculator on the Green bay Rackers web site
-Put about 4 gallons of water in your kettle, heat to the strike temp, turn off the heat, put in the bag and then the crushed grain, stir it up real good, put the lid on and wrap the whole thing up in and old sleeping bag and don't mess with it for an hour or so.
-Pull the bag out, turn on the heat and start your boil.
Get a couple of batches done then see if you want to keep doing it that way, want to add a cooler, want to do sparges, want more volume or maybe you'll be happy keeping it simple.

This is pretty much where I started. Then I got a bigger kettle and made bigger batches (5 gallons) for a while, then I retired the bigger kettle and went back to the smaller kettle and 2 1/2 gallon batches, working to improve efficiency, speed, and experimenting with recipes. I find that I can easily keep up with the amount I drink with the smaller batches and can brew more often so I can have different kinds of beer to drink. Try it this way to see what works for you. If you have issues with efficiency, add your own grain mill. A Corona style mill works great with BIAB as you can mill the grain really fine which gets very high efficiency.:mug:

All good advice above. I personally would not go with a 5 gallon mashtun, as that really does limit you if you want to go with a large grain bill. I use a cooler, brew bag and aliexpress stainless steel valve and weldless bulkhead (all in for under $100.00) + 8 gallon kettle (recommend a 10) by bayou classic. For not it's doing well, and a better brew kettle will not make better beer, although would be nice...

I do 5 gallon batches and have no intention of going for more at this time.

Do you brew indoors on the stove right now? If so, All-Grain will basically move your brewing outside and need a propane burner.

Craigslist is your friend, especially if you live in or are near a large city. To step up to all-grain (Besides a outdoor burner if you don't have one already.) is basically a 10 gallon SS kettle (Craigslist for $50-$100.), a 10 gallon round cooler ($50 at Home Depot) a false bottom or bazooka screen (make your own for $10-$20, craigslist, or buy a false bottom for $40 or bazooka screen for $10.) And a couple of bulkheads for the kettle and mash tun... under $40.

As a couple posters mentioned above you can make 2.5 gal all grain batches right now on your stovetop BIAB style, no sparge. I prefer to get 3 gals finished to the keg so I usually do a small dunk sparge step because a full volume mash won't always fit my 5 gal kettle, especially for bigger beers. That is super simple though, you can do that in a bucket. I used to primarily brew 10 gal batches outside on a sculpture but >90% of my batches the last 2 years are these small stovetop ones. I get more variety on tap and I get to brew more often without worrying at all about the weather. I'm even thinking of selling my sculpture.

Back