Smacked pack, then waited 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbone

Reaction score
Well, a couple weeks ago, I smacked my yeast pack, left it at room temp for 2 days, realized I couldn't brew for a while, then threw it in fridge. 2 weeks later, took it out of fridge, let get to room temp for 24 hrs. Pitched it, and 6 hrs later had ferment going.

Moral of story, smacked packs can be fridged and still be good.

What ever made you think that they wouldn't? When you smack an activator pack, all you're doing is introducing some sugar and nutrients to the yeast. They're living organisms, not a one-time-use-camera of sorts. Once you smack that pack, they wake up, eat the sugar and nutrients, then hang around awhile before going back to sleep. Two weeks later, you take them out of the fridge and introduce them to more sugar and nutrients. They eat that stuff. It's what they do for a living. Smacking a pack doesn't start some kind of countdown.

But it's cool that you had such a short lag time without a starter!

Yeah. I figured it would work. If it didn't, no loss, just repitch. However, I've seen the question many times on this forum, so I figured I'd show my results.

Being able to speak from experience is always good, especially for something like this which no one would do unless they had to.

Back