Smack pack starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
So I got a smack pack of wyeast 3068 weihenstephan for a heffe. I've used vials of liquid yeast but never a smack pack. Is it worth doing a starter with this thing? It will still be beneficial won't it?

Thanks guys

In general, yes, it is worth doing a starter with a smack pack. More specifically, you should calculate the appropriate pitch rate and do a starter if needed depending on the volume & OG of your brew.

I treat my hefes a little differently, though, and don't do a starter to ensure I don't overpitch and will get the banana flavor you're looking for in this style.

Punchline: I wouldn't mess with a starter on this one (assuming you are doing a 5gal batch of typical gravity hefe)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Whether you need a starter or not is based on the estimated OG of your beer, the number of yeast cells in the smack pack, and the percent viability of the yeast cells. Viability is based on the production date.
Here is a starter calculator to help you out.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Starters are highly recommended for most beers when using liquid yeast.

If you overpitch and keep the fermentation temp at the low end for WY3068 you can get more clove character in your hefe.

You may need a blow off tube with this yeast.The initial fermentation is very vigorous.

Latest posts

Back