Slurry "Thickness" And Mr. Malty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
I'm using Mr. Malty for my first repitch of yeast. I went through several rinses since the yeast I was reusing had lots of hop debris. I've now got my pitch in a mason jar. While cleaner, there is still a bottom and a top layer of trub and other junk, but it's about as good as its going to get. The clean yeast is the in middle layer. If I were to estimate how many milliliters that middle yeast layer is (compacted after settling for 24 hours), does that qualify as a "thick" slurry? The calculator tells me I need 159 ml for medium thick slurry, but there's no way my yeast layer is 159 ml. More like 100 ml., which will be enough if that layer counts as "thick." I really don't want to under pitch.

If you have any doubt, you can throw it into a 1L starter and decant to be sure. If the slurry is less than a couple weeks old, I would just toss it all in and be done.

can you post a picture?
how thick is the bottom layer?
personally I would get rid of the bottom layer by
shaking well and decanting the suspended yeast as soon
as the bottom layer has formed, usually 5 minutes give or take.
repeat this a few times to get more and more yeast.
the best yeasties will stay suspended
longer and the dead yeast will settle faster. take the collection
of decantations and chill them until the yeast forms a tight slurry with
liquid sitting on top. measure the thickness of the slurry and decant off any floating material. calculate slurry volume using the diameter of the jar.
if the bottom of the jar is not flat then you may wish
to "calbrate the jar" by adding pre-measred volumes of water and measuring the heights.

I usually just estimate 1 billion cells/ml, and I almost always build up my stored yeast a bit with a starter. Even if you have enough yeast already a small starter will get them woken up and ready to rock, IMO. I've had problems only when I didn't use a starter.

What myself and others do is after racking swirl the yeast pack in the bucket.Then dump into mason jars.I usually get around 2 1/2 to 3 full mason jars. I only keep 2 jars.I don't need that much yeast. Divide total amount by 4 for each batch.swirl up mason jar before pitching.Usually around 300 ML each 5 gallons. Seems to work just fine.I always hit or come close to my numbers. I use a hop bag.Makes life so much easier.

Back