Slow Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumike102

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i have brewed a few batches and havent had any problems and just last night i help a buddy of mine brew up a batch for himself. Id say we pitched the yeast at about 1 am last night and it has been almost 24 hrs and it has not started to bubble yet. Mine have never taken this long to start fermenting. Im not sure if something is wrong here. its an ale and says it requires around 72 degrees. he had it in lower temps last night like around 55 so i think maybe that could have something to do with it but im not sure i havent been doing this long enough. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

Mike

The lower temp is definatly one of the problems. Ale yeasts do best around 70. A lower temp will most likely give you a longer lag time. Also what will help with that is to aerate the piss out of your wort. if you can get you an O2 set-up. It will drastically reduce your lag time.

Cheers:ban:

Latest posts

Back