Slow start with ringworm ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sboarder3303

Reaction score
Any idea why I got a 36 hrs slow start after brewing a DFH aprihop clone this weekend? I used ringworm ale yeast liquid for the first time because it was in the recipe. Starting gravity was 1.066. Pitched at perfect temp, remained at 68 degrees and aerated for at least 3-4 mins.

I normally use Nottingham or safale dry and rehydrate and I always get starting fermentation in less 12 hrs with same conditions with all my other recipes. Only thing I can think is by rehydrating the dry yeast I had a higher yeast cell count then the ringworm liquid.
Probably will never use liquid again! To slow of a start for me. I know I could use a starter, but that takes more time, especially with a 2 yr old running around! Thanks guys! Love this app!

I'm assuming you have Wyeast Ringwood Ale yeast: Wyeast Laboratories. Ringwood Ale

Starters are not that hard to do. You have access to a lot more yeast varieties with liquid yeast. Starters with liquid yeasts will make your beer better.

That said you have underpitched and the yeast need to multiply before much fermentation will take place.

You may not see signs of fermentation and it will still be occurring.
At what temperature are you fermenting? If you are in the low 60's. you may raise the temperature a bit to get things started.

You answered your own question. Without a starter any liquid yeast is going to take some time to get going, no matter the yeast type. Ringwood* is an excellent strain and it makes some very nice beers. However, since you definitely underpitched, expect a lot of diacetyl and some off flavors. Give it a D rest and a good two weeks in the primary.

I would suggest not giving up on liquid yeast and next time take the extra 15 minutes and make a starter.

To the OP, if you don't want to spend the 15-20 minutes it takes to boil a starter, you can also make a 'starter' using a bottle of malta goya. Basically pour the stuff into a sanitized container and dilute 50% with spring water. Aerate, pitch your yeast, and there you go. It is not optimal but it is better than nothing. And it only takes 5 minutes. ;)

lol ringworm yeast. :cross:

I'm in general consensus with the rest. make a starter and fermentation will be off to a better start next time.

Eww, ringworm.Thinking colonies of it with yeast too,super eww.

Have to say 3 weeks in.... And the DFH Aprihop Clone is spot on! It finished alittle low at 6.2 abv but the flavor is awesome for my first all grain brew in the bag! Enjoying it, especially in my new Christmas gift DFH Pint glass!

Latest posts

Back