Slow Leak via Barb Swivel Nut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I seem to have a slow leak through my new barb swivel nut. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I need to get a new set? The barb doesn't seem to fit snuggly in the nut leading to a loss of gas.

It's screwed into a new ball lock. Am I missing something? I set up a twin of this hookup and have no problems there.

Thanks!

did you use a gasket? some ball lock qd's will seal without them, i've always had to use them on mine..

I didn't use a gasket - heck, I didn't even know they existed and just trusted the homebrew shop to steer me right. I shouldn't have, they've left out important bits when I've gone to them for help in the past.

Argh. 1/3 of a tank of gas lost for want of 50 cents worth of plastic.

$0.10 each at my LHBS ;)

They are little cone shaped white nylon washers.

I've never had to use one on an MFL QD before though... The plastic end of the QD has sealed well for me. I did have to use them on every metal to metal MFL connection - Like from the gas manifold to the gas lines...

I didn't use a gasket - heck, I didn't even know they existed and just trusted the homebrew shop to steer me right. I shouldn't have, they've left out important bits when I've gone to them for help in the past.

Argh. 1/3 of a tank of gas lost for want of 50 cents worth of plastic.

Most new threaded disconnects have a plastic flare that does the sealing work just fine. Is yours like that?

If so, take off the swivel nut and inspect the plastic flare...does it have any small chips in it? I've seen a few that got mishandled, dropped, etc and had a small chip or nick in the plastic flare...caused a leak.

Make sure the swivel nut is a bit more than finger tight, too.

some of my disconnects are pretty old and have all-metal flare fittings molded into them, they don't seal at all without the gaskets. i have some newer ones made in germany or italy that have plastic flares inside the metal threaded part that will seal without a gasket, but only if they're tightened really tight... so i use gaskets on them too so that i don't risk damaging the threads.

is this the flared compression fitting? did you wrap the threads in teflon tape? the thicker gas tape works really good.

is this the flared compression fitting? did you wrap the threads in teflon tape? the thicker gas tape works really good.

Teflon tape on the threads won't seal a swivel nut - The seal has to be on the flare end between the barb and the piece.

It doesn't hurt to use those little nylon washers on every fitting... But they are way too easy to lose! I keep a stash around for the occasional "Jesus Clip" moments :D

Thanks for the help, everyone. I went a bit seal-crazy this weekend and put in washers, swapped out clamps, and tightened things as much as I could. No more leaks!

It was a bit of a challenge explaining why I was dipping a ball-lock in a cup of water and staring at it intently to my wife, though.

Well, I'm glad I opened this thread. I got a Sanke tap with the parts to put a swivel on the beverage line so I can easily convert that tap from commercial to homebrew. There were two tiny white plastic things in there that I assumed were washers and now my suspicions are confirmed!

Teflon tape on the threads won't seal a swivel nut - The seal has to be on the flare end between the barb and the piece.

It doesn't hurt to use those little nylon washers on every fitting... But they are way too easy to lose! I keep a stash around for the occasional "Jesus Clip" moments :D

Ahh, yeah I was drinking when I posted that...now I understand where its leaking.

I did have a leak in the threads once that tape fixed...different scenario though.

Back