Slow leak in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discokid2k

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a slow leak in one of my 5 gal, pin lock kegs. I have tried the soapy water method, changed out all the poppits, new gasket seal but just can't seem to locate it. Sometimes (by sometimes I mean the last five batches), it will pressurize if I change the o ring on the lid. Most times, it slowly leaks over a two day period.

Any advice?

Replaced all the o rings. There is a small ding on the actual keg where the lid sits. I suspected this too but like I said, sometimes it still holds pressure. I'll post a pic of the keg shortly. Have to turn my PC back on.

Not sure how well the picks look but there are a few minute dings there. Other than that I am not sure what to do. I have 5 pin lock kegs so I switched out the lids just to see and that didn't work.

IMG_1503[1].jpg

IMG_1502[1].jpg

Have you used keg lube on the o rings? Sometimes that helps get everything set tight.

No o haven't. Never seen/had a need but I guess I should try. My other kegs work fine w out it so it never got to me.

The lid O-ring seals underneath that top flange. Feel underneath for irregularities. Also check the lid for dents. Maybe the O-ring is too old and flat. +1 on the Keg lube. A little Vaseline will work fine too in a pinch.

When seated with 5-10 psi, if it holds pressure at that, open the bail, spray Starsan. Press on the lid on one side, it should go down a bit (1/8"). Go around, and watch for bubbles, if you see any, that's where the problem lies. If it all pops back without bubbles the lid is sound. Check other parts, including the PRV.

Note:
The very top edge of the lid opening, where the burrs are, does nothing but cut your hands. When you get a chance next time, take a Dremel tool and/or a piece of fine sandpaper and smooth the top edge of the hole. Mine are silky smooth now, no more blood.

What is the bail?

The prints around the top are new. Bought some new ones when I ordered the four legs to complement this one.

Last edited:
Bought some keg lube and lubed it up. Have been trying to pressurize a beer for over a week now and everyday I come home it is back to step one. Any more ideas?

Back