slow fermentation, wwyd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNye

Reaction score
I have the extract kit from Midwest, Deep Dark Wheat. I brewed it on 4/8 and just check gravity today...1.020. I used the white labs American Hefeweizen Ale 320. I figured it would be much lower/done by now. Should I agitate or move it to a warmer room? It fermented a bit low, 56-62* but i figured it should still get to its FG. So what would you do? My plan right now is to relax and give it another week before checking again. On a side note the sample tasted fantastic already:).

I brewed a lager on 4/3, and checked the gravity last week-end. It was 1.021. I let it warm up a couple degrees per day for the last week, and checked the gravity again on Friday. Down to 1.014 (where it should be). I'd do what GRHunter suggested.

-a.

Extracts tend to finish with a little higher FG, although 20 is pretty high. It took me a number of batches before I mastered my hydrometer and was comfortable that I was taking readings properly.

1.020 is too high for that style to finish!

1.020 is a pretty common curse for extract brewers.

I again would raise the temp to around 70 for a few days and see if you get some action.

I have found that a few days atop a running dryer helps "rouse" the yeast with out aerating your brew !

Beer Brewing is for Procrastinators ! If you have it in you just wait it out !

DO NOT pitch another yeast !!!!!!
Doing that will cause you to have to wait even longer for your beer to be ready, and it is just a waste.

hmm, yeah I'm patient as hell(when good beer is at stake, red lights NO!!!!) i'll move it to a warmer part of the house and see if that helps. I won't be doing anything silly like re-pitching, plenty of yeast in there;). i am very capable with the hydrometer and refractometer and that isn't the problem.

I'm doing a bavarian hefeweizen kit from NB and had a similar problem. Fermentation seemed done, so I racked into my 2ndary to free up my fermenter and my reading was about 1.020. The agitation seemed to kick the yeast into action again and it actually formed a mini krausen in the carboy. It fermented pretty slow for another week and the krausen is just now starting to fall. I'm hoping I got another several points of fermentation out of it. Yeast and fermentation are sure facinating. Having loads of fun trying this stuff out.

very interesting article Cheeto, thanks. I added my LME, dissolved and then boiled for 60 minutes. Maybe this isn't the best approach. Its seems it might be better to add the LME much later. Calculated my attentuation @ 71.5%, white labs states an attentuation range from 70-75% so I am actually within range. I have some Amalyse Enzyme but I am not sure I want to use it and have it come out too dry...again opinions? I am leaning just warming and rousing and then rolling with it in a week...
Thank god I am done with extract...AG here I come.

Adding Beano will detract from your mouthfeel and malt flavor.

Amalyse breaks down carbs in to simple sugars.

I ,only my opinion, would warm the beer up and rouse the yeast before going to extra efforts.

i actually did your trick on the dryer. It made it down to 1.016. I couldn't wait any longer, I bottled it on Thursday. I chilled about 8oz of leftovers and drank it yesterday, its good for being flat, maybe a bit sweet but who cares. After calculating the attentuation and it not being too far off, no biggie. I blame it on unfermentables in the LME.
on a side not i just wrapped up my first AG tonite. Time to go pitch the starter. It went well, took 3 hours. Cleanup will be in the morning.

drinking the first one tonite. pretty good. it is a bit sweet. almost a bit sour in a good way?, makes you smile. its been in the bottle almost 3 weeks and the fridge 2 days so it should be pretty close. a tiny aftertaste that i could do without, but i think that will fade in another week or two. highly drinkable so I'm happy. Still glad i am AG now.

Back