Slow Continuous Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdonkeybeer

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year now, the last few months of which have been All Grain. I have always come here for answers (as well as general entertainment) but this is my first time posting.

I had a buddy of mine help me build a real nice gravity fed rotating sparge arm. It works like a charm... However, to sparge continuously for the recommended time it seems that the flow rate in and out of the MT is so low that ANY specialty equipment on that end of things (sparge arm) seems pointless. Why not just plop the hose right on top of the grain bed and be done with it. Leaving the recommended "few" inches of liquid above the grain bed would substantially decrease the risk of tunneling in the grain bed right?

I love to see the sparge arm spin (yes I am a DIY nerd)... So I end up sitting there opening and closing HLT flow the entire time. The flow rate is so low otherwise that the thing barely moves.

Am I just sparging to slow? I have been shooting for a 60min-90min continuous sparge, usually ending up right at the 60min mark. My efficiencies are always great (85ish% on the last 4 batches), it just makes me wonder why specialty sparge arms are needed.

Here is a picture of the sparge arm if anyone is interested. I have videos too.

image-725930754.jpg

It was a fun build regardless. I will eventually phase it out of the process. I was thinking of retrofitting a ball shaped tea infuser to the end of the tube running from the HLT to break the water flow up just a little. Then just plop the thing on top of the grain bed.

It spreads the water out so you don't disturb the grain bed. It allows the water to wash all of the grains instead of shooting straight down to the valve. The water in the MT will try to take the path of least resistance to try and get out the bottom. If you just plopped the hose in there you would see an indentation in the grain bed. You don't technically need a spinning sparge arm, but I agree that they are cool to see in action (simple mind likes spinny awesomeness). You could also use a stationary sparge arm made by drilling holes in a straight piece of copper or PVC over the tun, but how would that capture the amazement of your non-brewing bros? :D

Doing a slow sparge is preferred and a 60 minute sparge is perfect. I'd take at LEAST 45 minutes. You're getting great efficiency, so keep it up!

Back