Slow bottle carbonation Lutra Kveik yeast issue? or temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawleysplayr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first batch of beer in 15+ years was a mex lager grain recipe brewed BIAB and fermented with Lutra kveik yeast.
I opted for a kit from Morebeer as I was ordering other things in bulk and it would be a while before I got all the ingredients together:: Here

The brewing went great, the fermentation went great and the lutra dropped out clear as a bell.
The winey taste others mentioned with lutra was there for a day or two but disappeared quickly.
Now this was my first time ever priming and bottling. In my previous brewing life I only kegged....

I heated the corn sugar from the kit in a small amount of water and when it cooled enough, put it into the bottling bucket and transferred the beer from the fermenter on top of it.
I stirred lightly once it was all transferred.....then bottled.
This was on April 19 2022.

PXL_20220419_230005812.MP.jpg

PXL_20220419_221712870.jpg

The ambient temperature in the garage has been about 70 degF.
After 2 weeks I tested one and hardly an auditable pfft at all...
Tried one last night 5/17/2022 (4 weeks)...if there was an increase in carbonation ....I couldn't detect it.
It was not completely flat, but honestly that amount of carbonation could have still been in saturation from the fermenter as far as I know.

So question to the more experienced bottlers....is this a temperature related thing? or a kveik thing maybe?
I DID wait a long time and allow the kveik to totally clear before bottling.

When using kveik, should I consider adding a small amount of a different yeast at bottling?
Or am I missing something obvious?

The priming sugar was in a pre-measured pack in the kit and I don't remember the exact amount printed on the package. I do remember it being in the expected range based on my having played around with carb calculation sheets before.

I suspect you are right about the yeast still being active....after posting this link showed up in the "Similar threads" section below the post""
"Is Lutra Kveik Slower to Bottle Conditioning?"
It seems to point to ambient temperature having a much greater impact than I thought.

It's going to be 90 degF here today. I think it's a perfect opportunity to warm my bottles up and see what happens.

Last edited:
I just thought of another reason.
If your bottles aren't closed properly, you would also have a problem.
Although I think that's unlikely.

Raising the temperature sounds like a good plan
Hope it works out. Beer without fizz is a bit boring

I've heard that kviek beers can be difficult to bottle condition. It seems that once the yeast decides it's done, it drops out and it's  done. You may need to try using a different yeast next time like US-05 or something similarly neutral to bottle condition.

I did suspect the capper or my technique could be and issue, but all the caps I tested by hand were on really solid.
The capper was a cheap used one that someone gave me. I have replaced it with the Kegland bench capper just in case.

I'm gonna give the bottles a couple of days in the heat and then back on the garage shelf for a couple of weeks. Then start drinking it regardless.
I have a porter fermented with US-05 I'll bottle today or tomorrow. Hopefully that fares a little better in the 70 degF garage.

Thanks for the feedback all.

So either sitting in the higher temperatures for 4 days or the additional time has made a marked improvement.

Put one in the freezer to quickly chill and test last night.
I'm happy to say there was significant carbonation in solution now. Not fully, but certainly active.
I'm inclined to believe it was the temperature that roused the lutra.... or at lease accelerated it.

Good idea @Zambezi Special . I had seen that mentioned somewhere else also. Will give it a shot next bottling session.

From my experience, kveik slows down towards the bottom of it's temperature range. The 2 lutra batches that I bottled were in the upper 70s and carbonated in a week.

After time and higher temp storage, some of the bottles are better, but still under carbonated.
I will give this yeast another go as the beer turned out very clean, but will definitely increase the priming sugar a bit and store in warmer temps earlier.

From my experience, kveik slows down towards the bottom of it's temperature range. The 2 lutra batches that I bottled were in the upper 70s and carbonated in a week.

I recently made a pair of 1 gallon batches using Lutra (my first try with the yeast). The beers were in the fermenter for 2 weeks before I got to bottling them. For the sake of science I opened one after 4 or 5 days in the bottle. It was well carbonated and tasted good enough for me to open a second. I typically always carbonate my bottled beers in an upstairs bath that is usually around 78F this time of year.

Just my perception, but I think my initial cooler temperatures were my main issue. My temperatures were more like 68-70 degF at the time.
I have an outbuilding now that is semi-airconditioned and stays in low 80s. That area has been claimed as my new bottle conditioning space moving forward.

Back