Slightly chipped Pyrex bottles for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusthole

Reaction score
Hi all! New to this forum so please let me know if there's a better place to post this.

I have access to very mildly damaged Pyrex glass bottles from work that get decommissioned because of the damage but that should still be structurally sound. Pictures below are of a glass bottle and a bad picture of the chip on the one I currently have - it's about 1mm in diameter and less than 1mm deep.

5B7AiDr.jpg

WP9OWie.jpg

So my questions is: can I reasonably expect these to survive fermentation? Getting free vessels very much appeals to me and the glass is very strong so I'm not super concerned but felt it was wise to ask more experienced people. I don't think there's enough pressure during fermentation to worry about the crack, my only concern is sanitization given that cracks/scratches/chips are notorious for harboring bacteria and other nasties.

Any advice is appreciated.

Frankly given the cost of plastic and the 'cost' of having a vessel break down (either in your face or not) I'd just get some buckets. I can get food grade 24L buckets with a lid for under $5. Maybe keep these around for not quite so sensitive things, if they are strong and you can get a decent seal maybe keep them around for speciality grains or something.

The chip inside or outside?
Inside, would be hard to clean, as you might have suspected.

The main thing is: where the damage is, you now have what's called a "stress riser", from which a crack can propagate, or where a slight impact could cause it to shatter from there.

It's lost it's integrity, as far as a "Pyrex" vessel, and prolly why it was decommissioned.

Frankly given the cost of plastic and the 'cost' of having a vessel break down (either in your face or not) I'd just get some buckets. I can get food grade 24L buckets with a lid for under $5. Maybe keep these around for not quite so sensitive things, if they are strong and you can get a decent seal maybe keep them around for speciality grains or something.

Where are you sourcing a food grade bucket with lid for under $5?

@BlackE1 Canadian Tire; they are sold for maple sap harvesting. Not sure you could find them outside Canada. In my local where you can't really produce maple syrup they are the same buckets just labelled slightly different in store but still the same bucket.

Back