Slight bleach/soap taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatchstickBrewingCo.

Reaction score
So I'm relatively new to homebrewing, I brewed a batch a couple years ago that turned out awful and it kind discouraged me for a while, until recently. After a lot of research (most on HBT) and realizing all of the things I did wrong that first batch I've brewed a couple of batches that have been much better.

BUT, each one of them has a slight soapy taste to them. Its become less and less with each batch but I can still taste it.

One of the things I did wrong in my first batch is to sanitize with bleach in a solution that was stronger than recommended and maybe not rinsed well enough either.

I've started using PBW and Star San for my recent batches. Does anyone know how long this soapy taste will last? Will it even go away? Should I just get a glass carboy?

Is this off taste even caused by the bleach from years ago?

Thanks for the help!

What are you fermenting in?
Did you use soap at one time in addition to bleach?
If you are using buckets for fermenting, just get a new, clean bucket so you have a fresh start.
Better bottles and/or glass carboys should not retain odors or tastes if cleaned properly.

Yeah, I probably used soap at one time as well. Do you think that even though I've used PBW and star san a few times since then that they'd still effect the beer?
I'm using a plastic bucket for fermentation but plan on getting one or two 6.5 gallon glass carboys and two 5 gallon glass carboys for secondary so I can start some sort of a pipeline. Thanks Rawlus.

Definitely possible that it could be a remnant from earlier soap/bleach. I took a break from brewing for a rather long spell - I replaced all my plastic when I started back up. Costs a bit of money - but, then again, so does a half dozen (or more) batches of beer that don't turn out right.

The other possibility (although unlikely) is leaving beer on yeast too long in primary - but we are talking quite a while; 2-3-4 weeks would not do it. But, if you left beer in primary long enough for yeast to break down - that can cause a soapy flavor.

I have always perceived a "soapy" flavor with centennial hops..... not sure why, just tastes like that to me when I use them.

I would go with new fermenters, new plastic tubing, etc.

PBW and starsan are great products and definitely on the right track with those. I never use soap or bleach - something I did early on in my brewing as well.

Thanks Braufessor, I read somewhere that it might be sitting on the yeast too long but I usually primary for right around 3 weeks so I didn't think that would be it. I'll be replacing my bucket and tubing before my next batch, a Citra IPA.

Anybody run into this problem just from getting Star San in the bottles? I know they say that Star San doesn't effect your beer but I find it a little hard to believe that it has absolutely ZERO effect.

Hey guys, not sure if anybody is looking at this thread anymore but I did replace all my plastics AND got a new bigger and better brew kettle. I brewed my first batch with all new equipment and after tasting it while taking a FG reading it tasted really good with NO soapy taste. I'm hoping those days are behind me and I'm thinking that the bleach tainted all my prior equipment. Happy Brewing!

Latest posts

Back