Slight After Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAmGood

Reaction score
Howdy all!

I just dranked my 2nd bottle of a Kolsch I made. I drank the first bottle a week after it had been bottled and it tasted fine but I could tell it still need more time. Today I drank the second bottle(2weeks in bottle), smells great, great head, nice carb, tastes great up front....but then there is a slight but noticable trailing after taste. Kinda earthy...I guess. Hopefully it was just that bottle.

Anyone expperience this before?

John
:drunk:

Well "earthy" isn't exactly a bad characteristic... maybe in a Kolsch, but it's not horrible.

I'd be willing to guess it's just green. Give it another week or two and it'll likely clear right up.

Yup, almost all of my bottled beers taste best after 3+ weeks of conditioning and then another week cold conditioning to brighten them up. Time is your best friend when it comes to bottle conditioning beer.

Thanks for the quick response! I know what you mean abou three weeks time, I brewed a Belgian Wit that my wife LOVED and most were gone before 3 weeks. We had two left at about 4 weeks and I drank one and said," DOH!" They were way better at 4 weeks as opposed to 2 weeks.

Well "earthy" isn't exactly a bad characteristic... maybe in a Kolsch, but it's not horrible.

I'd be willing to guess it's just green. Give it another week or two and it'll likely clear right up.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, the earthy flavor isnt bad, I just haven't experienced it before. And I thought it funny how the earthy flavor trailed the main flavor like a trailer behind a car. I'll give it another week.

Thanks!
:rockin:

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: The Darkside IPA (I tricked up a an IPA recipe with Choc Malt and xtra dry hops)
Bottle conditioning: Belgian Wit & Kolsch

Latest posts

Back