Slacker vs Pandora

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemidoc

Reaction score
My experience is Slacker is better even though Pandora is more popular.
Any other good tune services out there?
I have a SiriusXM sub but don't use it much at home.

Edit: Also How about audio quality?

I love Spotify. For the fact that I don't generally want to listen to "Stations" that are supposed to interpret what tunes I want to listen to. I want to play full albums, or choose song by song.

Now I don't pay for the mobile app, so I don't get that advantage on my phone, but on the PC it's worlds better than any "Station" app.

So for me, the others are all pretty much the same. I think Slacker played a better mix of tunes, but I had more audio problems on the network I was trying it out on. No problems with Pandora or Iheart.

I've been a subscriber of Spotify for years. I'm with Homer- I don't want a mix of "stations", I like to listen to albums or my own playlists. There are a very few artists not on Spotify- The Eagles, The Beatles, and Taylor Swift (ick)- but for the most part I can get any album or song I want, when I want it.

I can find new music too, by playing stations if I want. I love it. I pay $5 a month for it, and got rid of XM since I can play it in my car also.

I've been a subscriber of Spotify for years. I'm with Homer- I don't want a mix of "stations", I like to listen to albums or my own playlists. There are a very few artists not on Spotify- The Eagles, The Beatles, and Taylor Swift (ick)- but for the most part I can get any album or song I want, when I want it.

I can find new music too, by playing stations if I want. I love it. I pay $5 a month for it, and got rid of XM since I can play it in my car also.

I want that mix. I use Pandora to listen to new music, then I track the album down, typically in Grooveshark.

I used to love Pandora, but Spotify won out and I became a subscriber a long time ago.

Spotify also has stations. You can choose which method of listening suits you at the time. It has the best of both worlds.

And when you're listening to, say, Eddie Vedder radio :D, you get a pretty decent mix. If you click "like", it will gone on a playlist and then you have a playlist called "liked from radio", and that is a great way to revisit new music that you hear.

Pandora's pretty good, but I much prefer Spotify.

Sadly, my work's antivirus software blocks Spotify from working, so I'm stuck with Pandora much of the time.

Haven't tried Slacker yet, or Grooveshark. Youtube's a pretty good resource too if you want to listen to specific songs or albums.

Pandora's pretty good, but I much prefer Spotify.

Sadly, my work's antivirus software blocks Spotify from working, so I'm stuck with Pandora much of the time.

Haven't tried Slacker yet, or Grooveshark. Youtube's a pretty good resource too if you want to listen to specific songs or albums.

Recently YouTube has been sued by a large group of labels over their lack of removing copyright'ed songs. Heard something about it on the radio and meant to check it out. I think this may be the first wave of such things against YouTube.

1) Spotify
2) iHeartRadio (mostly for the benefits of being able to listen to talk radio from around the country)
3) Slacker
4) Pandora

Pandora may be the most popular, it's been one of the worst streaming services for quite some time.

1) Spotify
2) iHeartRadio (mostly for the benefits of being able to listen to talk radio from around the country)
3) Slacker
4) Pandora

Pandora may be the most popular, it's been one of the worst streaming services for quite some time.

I forgot about the actual radio stations being on iHeart. That's a bonus IMO. Maybe not for others.

My kid still prefers Pandora. I gave up on it when I found out how AWFUL they are at streaming me stuff in my genre. Some of that stuff they played was no where NEAR what I asked for. I almost think they get paid to slip some artists into people's streams no matter what.

The only thing about Spotify that I dislike is the volume at which they play their ads. I can be "In the Zone" at work with some good mood music on and suddenly there is a guy screaming in my ear about the latest Pop or Hip-Hop "artist" (I use that term with the intent of having it sound like sarcasm. Except for Bruno Mars. He's the real deal. Second coming of Michael Jackson IMO!)

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to either, so for being limited to the free side of things, I've tried Pandora and Spotify and I like Panfora better. Their algorithms can get a little screwy sometimes, especially for ads (my most-listened to stations are classic bluegrass, dropkick murphys and darby o'gill, and for a solid month every ad I heard was in spanish). I tried Spotify on and off a few times, I mostly found the app interface to be a lot more difficult, especially when in the car.

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to either, so for being limited to the free side of things, I've tried Pandora and Spotify and I like Panfora better. Their algorithms can get a little screwy sometimes, especially for ads (my most-listened to stations are classic bluegrass, dropkick murphys and darby o'gill, and for a solid month every ad I heard was in spanish). I tried Spotify on and off a few times, I mostly found the app interface to be a lot more difficult, especially when in the car.

I get Spanish ads which makes sense to me as I'm in Texas.

You are nowhere near the South though. Odd.

I love the odd interjections that Pandora gives me.

Pandora does want to hook me up with older ladies in my area. That seems odd to me. How do they even know I'm here? Is Pandora being all "Look at this guys taste in music. He's right down the street,married, father of two. Maybe you two should hook up? Want me to post a full page add with photos of you and see what he does?".

I prefer Pandora over Spotify when it comes to 'Stations'. It seems like the Radio on Spotify repeats songs frequently and gets really limited to a smaller group of artists that it thinks fit in the station.

I have been cultivating a channel (Son Volt) on Pandora for several years so it may not be a fair comparison.

I prefer Spotify overall for the 'On Demand' component. However, I'll often use Pandora and Spotify in tandem. If I hear a song or artist on a Pandora station that interests me, I'll hop over to Spotify to listen to the album or check out other albums by the artist.

Also, part of my morning routine is to read the daily album reviews on Pitchfork. If something interests me, most of the time I can get on Spotify and listen to a sample while reading the review.

On a side note, as a firm believer in the value-for-value concept, my personal rule is that if I listen to an album (or a sizable part of an album) on Spotify more than ten times, I am obligated to purchase the album, be it in digital, CD, or vinyl form. I know that there is a problem with the way artists are compensated for the streaming of their music on all of these services but I, for one, can testify to the fact that I have purchased dozens and dozens of albums, tshirts, and concert tickets from artists that I may have never been introduced to had it not been for Pandora or Spotify.

Back