*Skyrim* Blackbriar Mead recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me start with I'm new to this BUT I love mead. I also love video games and I have been looking for a solid recipe that could mimic the Blackbriar mead from skyrim. Let me also preface this with there is no actual recipe in the game or released outside of the game this is all my doing.

So I wanted to try and make a really tasty "Expensive" mead (Expensive being in the game) so I first looked at the bottle in the game and on the bottle it has some sort of thorny vine with bees in place of some sort of berry. So I assumed it could represent Blackberries because the mead in game looks a little darker than a raspberry mead. I also looked at the price in game and saw how much more expensive it is than its competitors like honningbrew mead. So I thought how could I make this mead a little more "Expensive". Now I have never experimented with tea instead of straight water in my meads before but I thought I could test it out and see if it has any effect on it. (SPOILERS it does and its great!) So I brewed a strong English black tea and used that instead of plain water. Then I looked at my fruits and flavors and thought blackberry by itself is great and all but I think I could enhance it with complementary flavors. So I looked up what goes well with blackberries and saw that lemon is a nice addition as well as fresh cinnamon. So I continued to add a whole lemon sliced and a whole lemon squeezed. Plus 4 cinnamon sticks (not the powdered kind).

What I made turned out to be a Spiced lemon tea mead. Which in my opinion was the single best mead I have made to date. It is sweet, tangy, and somewhat Spicey from the cinnamon. All around a very tasty mead so much so that it tastes great from the primary fermenter already!

Ingredients:
*This makes 1 gallon*
● 3lbs. Honey
● 1-2 Gallons of water (Depends on how much water evaporates)
● 20 packets of any dark tea (These were the one cup packets, use more for stronger tea flavor)
● 2-3 whole lemons (Depending on size) 1/8 cup lemon juice I got from 1 lemon
● 2 lbs. Fresh blackberries
● 2 large cinnamon sticks (2 inch sticks) cut into 4 small pieces
● 1 packet D47 wine yeast
ALWAYS SANITIZE BEFORE DOING THE NEXT STEPS

1.) Boil water to about 1 gallon equivalent and brew tea as instructed on label Let cool to around 74° or below.
2.) Take about 1 cup of either plain water or your tea brewed water and add your 3lbs of honey into a saucepan and heat until honey have dissolved/melted into the water (DO NOT BOIL you do not want to thicken this mixture)
3.) Slice one lemon in pieces that will both fit into your bottle but also be easy enough to take out when it's ready for secondary. Then squeeze about 1/8 cup lemon juice or 1 large lemon into a bowl. Prepare your blackberries by either squeezing them through cheese cloth and straining it after or put them in a strainer and using a spoon press them through the strainer (You really don't want many floatey bits in the mead they are hard to remove)
4.) prep your yeast by adding tepid/room temp water into a bowl and mixing the yeast into it.
5.) Add all ingredients into container but save the yeast for last (Make sure the mixture is under 74°F before adding the yeast) Give it a light shake and attach your airlock.

Let sit around a month until moving it to secondary (I forgot about mine and let it go for 5.5 weeks) I tasted it when I moved to secondary and it was already amazing but I'm going to let it sit and taste it from time to time to see when it tastes the best!

P.S. In the game there is also Blackbriar Reserve which is REALLY expensive. So I thought you could (if you have access to it) age the mead in used bourbon barrels for a caramel/oaky flavor plus a higher alcohol content.

King,
If you really loved skyrim and mead you would know that they use juniper berries. They strait up say it in the game, all though they do not really allude to anything else they use. It is a mead so we can extrapolate that they use honey. If anyone else is familiar with the subject please comment. I would really like to do a skyrim mead and i would like it to be as close to cannon as possible.

King,
If you really loved skyrim and mead you would know that they use juniper berries. They strait up say it in the game, all though they do not really allude to anything else they use. It is a mead so we can extrapolate that they use honey. If anyone else is familiar with the subject please comment. I would really like to do a skyrim mead and i would like it to be as close to cannon as possible.

As far as I'm aware the only mention of juniper berries is the mead from Helgen that's why I didn't add any into it I also wanted to try using them as well but they are hard to find

What's all this deleted nonsense?

I posted what I thought was the recipe from Skyrim, then realized it was a fake. There are 2 recipes in the game, but I can’t seem to find it again.

There's actually a spiced Honningbrew cyser recipe created by someone and posted to Pinterest.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389279961512748849

The recipe from Pinterest, I believe is from a member here who modified it and posted pictures on Deviant Art. As a Skyrim fan, I know for a fact there are several different meads featured in the game but I never ran across a recipe. Like graff, the recipes are all fun, speculative ventures on the part of creative brewers.

Last edited:
I was just being a smart @ss. Mead, beer and wine are my excuses. I was born this way though. But some excuse is better than no excuse.
Cheers

There are HBT threads on this same topic going back to 2011 and 2012 on this same topic. My kids were playing the basic Skyrim on XBOX360 before I got hooked on it ... but back to the mead.

A blackberry addition seems to be a fairly interesting fruited mead style, but 20 packets of tea would add some extra tannins - to say the least. This particular "Blackbriar" recipe uses Lalvin D47 while some others use EC-1118, but then again, it's all according to taste because the recipe is conceptual.

There's actually a spiced Honningbrew cyser recipe created by someone and posted to Pinterest.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389279961512748849

The recipe from Pinterest, I believe is from a member here who modified it and posted pictures on Deviant Art. As a Skyrim fan, I know for a fact there are several different meads featured in the game but I never ran across a recipe. Like graff, the recipes are all fun, speculative ventures on the part of creative brewers.

That was the whole point of this. I just wanted to have fun and share it. Not upset everyone.

Taking a concept and being creative with it is part of an interesting recipe. Look at graff and how people ran with that idea as it evolved.
Not everything has to be BJCP standard and there's a good chance something pleasant and interesting will result. I like beer and it's much of what I brew at home but wines are good, too. Every once in a while I'll snag a bottle of sangria during hot weather and if you look around, people are combining the meads with fruit, wines, and sangria, too.
Fruited mead can be very good if done correctly and variety adds to the fun. One of my favorite meads was a metheglin honeysuckle brew done by a guy named John Hallberg, a brewer who used to make meads in the Virginia countryside. I don't think he brews commercially anymore but that particular recipe was so good I'd drive from inside the DC Beltway to his place in Sperryville and back just for a couple bottles.

Brew on, I'd like to see if this fruited mead could evolve like graff. :mug:

How much research did you do before all of this??? A simple search would have brought you to The Creatures and their Skyrim mead. They have a whole series of this from around 2016 or so. I think you rebuilt the wheel (incorrectly) for nothing.

This fantasy mead's recipe was up for discussion before 2016. Beyond their own interpretation, no one really owns a recipe that doesn't truly exist ...and besides, it's always interesting to see a different spin on something and the speculation is all fun.

Wait!!! What!!! I own all Skyrim recipes. I allow you to make them, but you have to send me 2 bottles from each batch as a royalty payment.
Cheers and pm me for my address.
Jk I don’t own ALL the recipes, just most of them. ;-)

If a long-range shot with the Dwemer crossbow didn't work, Fus-Roh-Dah would fix things. I especially like hunting the vampires as a Dawnguard knight using the explosive firebolts. A couple of thugs showed up at my digs on Lakeview Manor, messing with my beehives.
One of my orphaned kids took one out with a shiv, the other got a Fus-Roh-Dah.
Tough kids.

Last edited:
How much research did you do before all of this??? A simple search would have brought you to The Creatures and their Skyrim mead. They have a whole series of this from around 2016 or so. I think you rebuilt the wheel (incorrectly) for nothing.

THANK YOU so look much for the classy response im glad you are supportive of creative efforts. Never did I say this was the definitive recipe only said it was my rendition. Btw was a fan of the creatures and now cow chop which is where I developed my interest in mead. But please keep me posted if I (incorrectly) state "facts".

How much research did you do before all of this??? A simple search would have brought you to Have you seen The Creatures and their Skyrim mead.?They have a whole series of this from around 2016 or so. I think you rebuilt the wheel (incorrectly) for nothing.

Fixed this.

As Kent said, please be civil.

I´ve thought of the Blackbriar reserve myself. I came to an idea. Make mead like from the official cookbook of Elder scrolls. There is a recipe with blackberries rosehips and some spices. I thought of fortifying it with destilled mead and let it sit in oak keg for some time and let it infuse.

Let me start with I'm new to this BUT I love mead. I also love video games and I have been looking for a solid recipe that could mimic the Blackbriar mead from skyrim. Let me also preface this with there is no actual recipe in the game or released outside of the game this is all my doing.

So I wanted to try and make a really tasty "Expensive" mead (Expensive being in the game) so I first looked at the bottle in the game and on the bottle it has some sort of thorny vine with bees in place of some sort of berry. So I assumed it could represent Blackberries because the mead in game looks a little darker than a raspberry mead. I also looked at the price in game and saw how much more expensive it is than its competitors like honningbrew mead. So I thought how could I make this mead a little more "Expensive". Now I have never experimented with tea instead of straight water in my meads before but I thought I could test it out and see if it has any effect on it. (SPOILERS it does and its great!) So I brewed a strong English black tea and used that instead of plain water. Then I looked at my fruits and flavors and thought blackberry by itself is great and all but I think I could enhance it with complementary flavors. So I looked up what goes well with blackberries and saw that lemon is a nice addition as well as fresh cinnamon. So I continued to add a whole lemon sliced and a whole lemon squeezed. Plus 4 cinnamon sticks (not the powdered kind).

What I made turned out to be a Spiced lemon tea mead. Which in my opinion was the single best mead I have made to date. It is sweet, tangy, and somewhat Spicey from the cinnamon. All around a very tasty mead so much so that it tastes great from the primary fermenter already!

Ingredients:
*This makes 1 gallon*
● 3lbs. Honey
● 1-2 Gallons of water (Depends on how much water evaporates)
● 20 packets of any dark tea (These were the one cup packets, use more for stronger tea flavor)
● 2-3 whole lemons (Depending on size) 1/8 cup lemon juice I got from 1 lemon
● 2 lbs. Fresh blackberries
● 2 large cinnamon sticks (2 inch sticks) cut into 4 small pieces
● 1 packet D47 wine yeast
ALWAYS SANITIZE BEFORE DOING THE NEXT STEPS

1.) Boil water to about 1 gallon equivalent and brew tea as instructed on label Let cool to around 74° or below.
2.) Take about 1 cup of either plain water or your tea brewed water and add your 3lbs of honey into a saucepan and heat until honey have dissolved/melted into the water (DO NOT BOIL you do not want to thicken this mixture)
3.) Slice one lemon in pieces that will both fit into your bottle but also be easy enough to take out when it's ready for secondary. Then squeeze about 1/8 cup lemon juice or 1 large lemon into a bowl. Prepare your blackberries by either squeezing them through cheese cloth and straining it after or put them in a strainer and using a spoon press them through the strainer (You really don't want many floatey bits in the mead they are hard to remove)
4.) prep your yeast by adding tepid/room temp water into a bowl and mixing the yeast into it.
5.) Add all ingredients into container but save the yeast for last (Make sure the mixture is under 74°F before adding the yeast) Give it a light shake and attach your airlock.

Let sit around a month until moving it to secondary (I forgot about mine and let it go for 5.5 weeks) I tasted it when I moved to secondary and it was already amazing but I'm going to let it sit and taste it from time to time to see when it tastes the best!

P.S. In the game there is also Blackbriar Reserve which is REALLY expensive. So I thought you could (if you have access to it) age the mead in used bourbon barrels for a caramel/oaky flavor plus a higher alcohol content.
Elder scrolls official cookbook is on Amazon and does have the mead recipes. You’re welcome

The "Elder scrolls official cookbook" is just a book written by a fan of the series and the "official" status is more akin to a marketing gimmick than anything else. The woman that wrote it is a hobbyist who enjoys actualizing fantasy recipes. While her book is surely very fun and enjoyable, I don't think her recipes delegitimize the OP's pursuit. She has her take and the OP has his.

I see this so often on this forum; people rush in to criticize and try to break down enquiry. Over and over, these characters seem to have something to prove and immediately begin to tear at novel pursuits the moment they are presented. These half-informed pontificators are by far the most dangerous type of people in this world. Why do they want so badly to take away from someone's curiosity? Why do they arrogantly try to wash away creativity? I know not, but it grows tiresome.

p.s. Just bought the Official Skyrim Cookbook for my son off Taobao :cool:

Last edited:
Back