Skimming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper2hopper

Reaction score
Has anyone skimmed during chilling process (I chill with with an immersion chiller)? I recirculate with a pump while the chiller sits in there for about 20 minutes. During that time I was thinking of skimming on my next brew day. I have been reading posts that skimming during hot break and even during the boil may cause negative effects with head retention or flavor. I'm just trying to remove as much trub as I can before going into the primary.

You have stuff to skim while chilling? Never had anything floating around on the surface when chilling other than the occassional hop cone escapee.

You have stuff to skim while chilling? Never had anything floating around on the surface when chilling other than the occassional hop cone escapee.

That's what I was going to ask. My wort is clear on top, but there is some debris near the bottom. I've never seen anything to skim or anything near the surface during chilling.

That's what I was going to ask. My wort is clear on top, but there is some debris near the bottom. I've never seen anything to skim or anything near the surface during chilling.

Maybe the OP meant it as letting the trub settle and then siphoning a clear wort of the trub?

Back