Skeeter Pee on a 2 month old slurry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickThoR

Reaction score
So I made Edworts apfel wine to recipe, and was wanted to do a batch of skeeter pee once i get a chance to rack it ( it is still in primary, and is at a month and a half right now... but im gonna be pretty busy for a while). Will it be ok to pitch on to a 2-2.5 month old yeast slurry? Should i just be sure to aerate well and plenty of yeast nutrient/energizer?

Just to make sure I understand the timing, the Apfewien has been in primary for a month and a half, and you are pitching that slurry onto skeeter pee in another month from now?
What the heck, I'd try it. The skeeter pee recipe calls for aerating, energizer and nutrient, so as long as u follow recipe, why not.
EC-1118 is .99 at most beer stores, you could buy some and have in reserve to create starter and pitch if the slurry doesn't take off.

you've got nothing to lose by trying to slurry either way, and it will probably add some interesting flavors to the pee.

Yep, that is the timing. That EC-1118 sounds like a good back up plan to me. I guess my other concern is qill that old of a yeast cake start making any off flavors? the orignal yeast was montrachet if that matters

I pitched slurries from Meads that were older than that into two of my skeeter pee batches, and dont think i got any off flavors. Mind you, i was in a time crunch, so I made two starters with EC1118 and added slurry to them just to make sure it took off.
Its your call, but I'm not the expert on this. Ive always made a starter for my skeeter pee and have never had any problems after 7 batches of various fruit flavored pees

The age of the yeast slurry is not bad. I used a yeast slurry that had sit in primary for nearly 8 months and that worked fine.

But I will caution that Montrachet produces sulfery compounds easily and skeeter pee can cause that to happen easily unless you REALLY up the nutrients and REALLY aerate often. So you may think about using another yeast. My favorite is Lalvin 71b-1112.

Back