Skeeter pee made with Kveik yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to make the skeeter pee recipe with a Kveik yeast cake? If so, how'd it go? Just curious.

A 2.5 gallon batch takes a 4 lb bag of sugar ($2), one 1.5 qt bottle of Lemon Juice ($3), a tablespoon of nutrient and a teaspoon of energizer. Seems cheap and easy to give it a try.
Please report back. ;)

How'd it turn out?

Can't really give much feedback, my process got totally messed up. I got the lemon juice from costco and didn't realize until after the yeast pitch that I had added way too much lemon juice (the costco bottles are 48oz not 32 like the grocery store...) so I had essentially added the entire amount of lemon juice up front and not in staggered additions. I just went with it, but after a day of no activity (which is not typical of kveik), I got a supplemental starter going. I made the starter with 50/50 fresh DME solution and stalled wort. Then I added several staggered additions of the wort to the starter to slowly acidify it in an attempt to acclimate the new yeast to a hostile environment. That seemed to work, the fermenter finally got going on day three. With all those deviations from the original recipe, I decided to completely go off of it, and ended up carbonating it in the keg and back sweetening with Xylitol. I cold crashed it and it isn't bad, not really my favorite, but I have no clue what real skeeter pee is supposed to taste like, so I can't really judge it. :(

Once I get through this keg, I will run it again, and stay true to the recipe. I have been making some really strong shandies with it.

Back