skeeter pee help pleaded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william2010

Reaction score
So I have been in touch with lon who has the skeeter pee website and asking him questions. But he doesnt always get back to me right away so I thought I would try here. I made a 6 1/2 back of pee. It's been about 3 days now since I have put in my yeast. Champagne wet yeast WLP715. I asked the hit at my LHBS and he said don't need a starter just to pitch it in there. So after all initial steps tool my reading which was about 1.075. And put my yeast one and of.course whipped it up before hand. And have been since I pitched it. And third day is I haven't seen any signs of anything , nothing at all just lemonade with some aditives. Lol. I added a tiny bit more energized and nutrient today. But my question is, is am I just impatient or am I out of luck. I have never made wine before and I think this is supposed to be a small type of it. Any help would be great.

With the acidity and additives in lemon juice, you need a starter. Since you have pitched the yeast, I would wait a week to see if it will start. In the mean time, get another package of yeast. If it does not start after a week, there are directions on Lon's site and a couple threads here about making a skeeter pee starter. This wine/whateveryoucallit needs a starter to acclimate the yeast to an unusually harsh environment, not to grow the yeast to a certain number. You might be okay, but I would pick up another package of yeast and some apple juice to make a starter if it is needed.

Cody

CGish said:
With the acidity and additives in lemon juice, you need a starter. Since you have pitched the yeast, I would wait a week to see if it will start. In the mean time, get another package of yeast. If it does not start after a week, there are directions on Lon's site and a couple threads here about making a skeeter pee starter. This wine/whateveryoucallit needs a starter to acclimate the yeast to an unusually harsh environment, not to grow the yeast to a certain number. You might be okay, but I would pick up another package of yeast and some apple juice to make a starter if it is needed.

Cody

So I should leave it for a week and see. I talked to lon and he said.champagne yeast is pretty hardy but I'm just really anxious about this. If I end up doing another yeast starter does it need.to be the same yeast?

So I should leave it for a week and see. I talked to lon and he said.champagne yeast is pretty hardy but I'm just really anxious about this. If I end up doing another yeast starter does it need.to be the same yeast?

I would use the same type if I had it, but any champagne or wine yeast will work. If you are buying, get the same one. If you all ready have one on hand, use it. Either way, it will be fine.

CGish said:
I would use the same type if I had it, but any champagne or wine yeast will work. If you are buying, get the same one. If you all ready have one on hand, use it. Either way, it will be fine.

But i should wait a week right?

I would (and have before). :) The acidity and preservatives mean that anything else will have a hard time getting started as well. Of course, if you are not sleeping or eating and are missing work over this little issue, then just get the starter going. It's not worth stressing over :D

CGish said:
I would (and have before). :) The acidity and preservatives mean that anything else will have a hard time getting started as well. Of course, if you are not sleeping or eating and are missing work over this little issue, then just get the starter going. It's not worth stressing over :D

I am.taking your advice. I really appreciate it. I am getting married this august and really hoped on getting some of this at my wedding. Again thankyou for your advice.

JonM said:
this method works like a champ. I've used it several times and it worked beautifully. Cheers!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/very-effective-way-start-skeeter-pee-310979/

In his post, when he says he dumps half of.the starter in and.then refills.the starter with more sp. Does he mean the same stuff I just dumped the starter into. So if I dump half my starter into my 6 1/2 gallons of must. Then I swirl around and then take enough out to refill the starter again? That right? Or do I need a whole new match of lemon juice and water. And what is yeast seam?

Lon just emailed me and said if he were me he would take half gallon out and delute it with a half gallon of water throw in some yeast and let it go for a couple days and throw that in Does that sound better then the apple juice one?

Lon just emailed me and said if he were me he would take half gallon out and dilute it with a half gallon of water throw in some yeast and let it go for a couple days and throw that in Does that sound better then the apple juice one?

Lon is the expert where skeeter pee is concerned. I know only what has worked for me, whereas he helps lots of different people. I cannot imagine you would go wrong following his advice. :)

In his post, when he says he dumps half of.the starter in and.then refills.the starter with more sp. Does he mean the same stuff I just dumped the starter into.

Yes, you add from your main fermenter to your starter vessel.

So if I dump half my starter into my 6 1/2 gallons of must. Then I swirl around and then take enough out to refill the starter again? That right? Or do I need a whole new match of lemon juice and water. And what is yeast seam?

Just dump half of the starter then top it off with new must from your fermenter. OR start with a larger starter vessel (OP in the thread you reference uses a beer bottle) and just do steady 2-4 oz additions the way he does and dump the whole starter in at high krausen.

Cody

Well I got another vile of WLP715 champagne yeast to make a starter. What should I do?

Well I got another vile of WLP715 champagne yeast to make a starter. What should I do?

I would start with some diluted must, pitch your vial and do steady additions of must over the course of 8 hours or so until you build a good-sized starter. Then pitch the whole thing at high krausen. I did basically the same thing with dry yeast and it worked great.

pabloj13 said:
I would start with some diluted must, pitch your vial and do steady additions of must over the course of 8 hours or so until you build a good-sized starter. Then pitch the whole thing at high krausen. I did basically the same thing with dry yeast and it worked great.

I did the Apple juice starter and you said pitch at high krausen, how do I know when it is high?

I put 6 oz of Apple juice in a one gallon plastic water jug and put my wet yeast in. Been about two hours and still not s whole lot of action. That because all the space in the jug or am I just not patient enough

CGish said:
Yes, you add from your main fermenter to your starter vessel.

Just dump half of the starter then top it off with new must from your fermenter. OR start with a larger starter vessel (OP in the thread you reference uses a beer bottle) and just do steady 2-4 oz additions the way he does and dump the whole starter in at high krausen.

Cody

Had the starter going for about 4 hours and still don't see signs of bubbling. I put a little bit more apple juice in, a pinch of nutrient, and 1 cup half deluted sp must. Is that good?

william2010 said:
Had the starter going for about 4 hours and still don't see signs of bubbling. I put a little bit more apple juice in, a pinch of nutrient, and 1 cup half deluted sp must. Is that good?

Oh and I don't have my half gallon to really make a starter so I used my 1 gallon water jug. Only thing that will for my carboy bung

Oh and I don't have my half gallon to really make a starter so I used my 1 gallon water jug. Only thing that will for my carboy bung

You don't want a bung for a starter anyway. Just cover with sanitized foil. Wait until you see some yeast krausen on top.

pabloj13 said:
You don't want a bung for a starter anyway. Just cover with sanitized foil. Wait until you see some yeast krausen on top.

Well I have an ant problem and that's generally why I have one. Does it effect it if you do or don't? I have added about 8 oz of sp must to my starter so far. Just lots of little bubbles. How much more pee do I add? and how long till I pitch it?

You'll be fine. If your already seeing bubbles in the starter then pour in a cup out of your fermentor maybe two into your starter. You should be able to pitch this tomorrow but by then you may already see activity in your original batch of skeeter pee. It generally takes a week for yeast to kick of without a starter in Skeeter Pee.

Rocky71 said:
You'll be fine. If your already seeing bubbles in the starter then pour in a cup out of your fermentor maybe two into your starter. You should be able to pitch this tomorrow but by then you may already see activity in your original batch of skeeter pee. It generally takes a week for yeast to kick of without a starter in Skeeter Pee.

I haven't seen the slightest bit of anything in my pee. It could still go? Well that would be Awsome! I started pee on Saturday. So its had yeast in it for 5 days now. nd I have been whipping it every day and still no action.

It could still go. But I'd still stay with the starter. The starter will help if the yeast do kick off and it won't hurt anything. With the starter you know you have good yeast.

Rocky71 said:
It could still go. But I'd still stay with the starter. The starter will help if the yeast do kick off and it won't hurt anything. With the starter you know you have good yeast.

I have already put in about one cup of sp must half deluted quite a few hours ago, should I put another cup in tonight undeluted and wait till tomorrow and see about pitching?

I have already put in about one cup of sp must half deluted quite a few hours ago, should I put another cup in tonight undeluted and wait till tomorrow and see about pitching?

You should keep putting in must. When you first put it in, the yeast may slow down. Once you see them recover and show activity again, add some more must. The idea is to get them used to the nasty environment before you send them to their lemony, acidic death in your fermenter.

pabloj13 said:
You should keep putting in must. When you first put it in, the yeast may slow down. Once you see them recover and show activity again, add some more must. The idea is to get them used to the nasty environment before you send them to their lemony, acidic death in your fermenter.

How much more do I put it?

pabloj13 said:
I built mine up until it was a couple quarts of active starter. Then I pitched that.

Ok so about half a gallon. How much did you put in when adding to the starter. I have been putting in about one cup of deluted sp

pabloj13 said:
After it got going I started ladling in just straight must, about a cup at a time.

So how do I know when its ready to pitch. If I have 4 quarts that is bubbling about once every three seconds.

william2010 said:
So how do I know when its ready to pitch. If I have 4 quarts that is bubbling about once every three seconds.

Sure. How much do you have now?

pabloj13 said:
Sure. How much do you have now?

Probably about 3 quarts. Gunna add another quart of sp must and wait till it bubbles. How much should it bubble before I toss it in ???

william2010 said:
Probably about 3 quarts. Gunna add another quart of sp must and wait till it bubbles. How much should it bubble before I toss it in ???

I think if you've got activity in a gallon at all, I'd pitch it. It's not going to be that much of a shock to the yeast. You should be rocking and rolling soon!

pabloj13 said:
I think if you've got activity in a gallon at all, I'd pitch it. It's not going to be that much of a shock to the yeast. You should be rocking and rolling soon!

I'm sorry I meant I'm at about 1 quart I was thinking 8 quarts in a gallon.

pabloj13 said:
There really is no answer to this question other than "some". If you've got signs of activity at this point, just do it. DO IT.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUZGdi7Ty4

I added about 4 cups of must to my starter and will hopefully see some results in about 5 hours. If so then ill dump that puppy in and watch her go, any idea on if you can put in to much yeast nutrient in your must

I added about 4 cups of must to my starter and will hopefully see some results in about 5 hours. If so then ill dump that puppy in and watch her go, any idea on if you can put in to much yeast nutrient in your must

I mean I wouldn't put a whole tube or anything, but if you're a little over it's not going to hurt anything. Just relax. This thing can take a while to kick off, but now that you're doing a starter I bet it goes. It will go slow and steady, not like a rocket like beers do. More like a cider, with a constant slow stream of bubbles.

pabloj13 said:
I mean I wouldn't put a whole tube or anything, but if you're a little over it's not going to hurt anything. Just relax. This thing can take a while to kick off, but now that you're doing a starter I bet it goes. It will go slow and steady, not like a rocket like beers do. More like a cider, with a constant slow stream of bubbles.

Sweet, yea i haven't done some before so I am used to seeing quick amd.fast fermentation. My cell is 5417605727 if you want to get me faster answers. Better for me Haha

Latest posts

Back