Skeeter Pee Help - No signs of fermentation after ~10days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgilmour

Reaction score
Hi all -

I seem to have some issues with my pee. ;)

About 10 days ago I did a 5gal batch of Skeeter Pee with some of the yeast cake of some cider, along with 2 rehydrated packs of 71B-1122. It has not shown any signs of fermenting as of yet (both hydrometer readings and airlock activity).

When I first made the pee, I only boiled the sugar water for 5min instead of the 30 that it stated in the directions :( so I'm wondering if this could have contributed to it not fermenting. I also didn't let it sit overnight with just a towel over the carboy, I immediately pitched the yeast & cake and then aerated and placed an airlock over it.

After waiting 2 days I took the airlock off, and let it sit overnight with just a towel over it and have been aerating it every day since then, yet still no signs of fermentation. I also have been monitoring the temperature and its been at 68-72F.

I am out of yeast at the moment, so I ordered some EC-1118 yet it won't be here until Wednesday. I was planning on making a starter with the must of the pee and let it build up until I get a half-gallon or so, but my question is do you think the pee is still ok, or should I dump it and start over? Also any other suggestions as to what I should be doing now?

Thanks!

Did the recipe say to start out under an airlock? Because if it didn't the lack of oxygen probably killed off the yeast.

It didn't it stated to put a towel over it for 24-48 hours, which i didnt do until the third day or so. I re-pitched yeast afterwards tho.

But good news! I came home today with a frown on my face, opened the airlock, gave it some swirling and threw back on the airlock. Within a few mins it was starting to bubble. I then woke up this morning to the airlock bubbling every 5-10 seconds! Not sure how vigorous it's supposed to be bubbling, but I may pitch some more yeast on wednesday when I get the EC-1118.

Latest posts

Back