Size of Round Cooler to Build MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Before I follow Flyguy's great directions on building an MLT, I wanted to ask about what size I should buy. I know that an important part of the MLT is the grain bed depth. I only plan on making 5 gallon batches, and I usually make 1.040 to 1.060 ales. Now that I type that, though, I would like to try making a big beer at some point.

So, all that said, should I buy a 5 gallon round cooler for my MLT, or go with a larger size? I'm thinking the 5 gallon is the way to go.

If you are determined to use a round cooler you will be future proof with a 10 gallon cooler. If you are going to batch sparge a 48 to 52 quart rectangular cooler will work just fine as well.

Yep, I have to agree. Most people who go to a 5 gal cooler just end up getting something larger later anyways.

Buy a 10 gallon... throw these components in it from Lowes ($16) and brew away...

(1) A-836 1/2"MIP x 1 1/2" Brass pipe nipple
(1) 1/2" x 1/2" FPT x Barb female adapter
(2) 3/4" SS flat washer
(2) 1 1/8" OD x 5/8" ID Rubber grommets (for inner and outer seal)
(1) 1/2" x 1/2" MPT x barb Male adapter
(1) 1/2" threaded ball valve

The Pol

So, for 5 gallon batches of 1.040 to 1.060 beer, a 10 gallon round cooler won't be too big to make a good grain bed then, right?

So, for 5 gallon batches of 1.040 to 1.060 beer, a 10 gallon round cooler won't be too big to make a good grain bed then, right?

Not at all. I routinely do the same size batches in a 10G cooler that is square, and has a similar footprint to the round coolers.

I have done a 3 gal batch in it, and it actually worked fine. If you are batch sparging, those tall, round coolers leave you with PLENTY of grainbed depth, even at 10 gal.

For the moment, I plan on doing batch sparges, so it sounds like the 10 gallon round cooler is the way to go. I'm getting all the equipment together for my first AG batch...

My 40 quart SS pot is on it's way, I just bought my chest freezer and a Ranco ETC to use as a fermentation chamber, I'm going to the LHBS to pick up a 6 gallon BB and a cheap stir plate, Home Depot to get my supplies and build Flyguy's MLT, and I'm brewing AG!

I'm so freaking excited! I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Back