Size matters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JawnnyO

Reaction score
Hi I am switching from a 5 gallon igloo cooler to a ten gallon igloo cooler for my MLT. I have a 10 inch false bottom from the smaller cooler. is it fine for the larger cooler, or should I have a 12 inch one to cover the whole bottom? Thanks for the responses

As long as it sits flush against the bottom when connected to the hose/spigot I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Yeah, as @Dgallo says, the smaller size works just dandy.

One of my brew friends uses a 10" or 12" FB in his 20 gallon mash kettle. It dwarfs lying in the center of the bottom, but works as it should. Just got to watch not to kick it up with the mash paddle when stirring. ;)

The undersize FB may work but it will lauter slower and brings intrinsically higher risk of grain getting under it than a more optimally sized version which is less likely to move around when smacked with a spoon or paddle. Especially if one applies a silicone gasket around the edge :)

Cheers!

1645828197926.png

Back