Size of Mini Fridge For Fermentation Vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrManifesto

Reaction score
i've searched a bit for this but want to check on what other people are using. i live in a NYC apartment so i have VERY limited space. i've seen 4.4 cubic ft fridges that look like they would work if i cut away some of the plastic from the inside, but i'm a bit scared to hit something critical. what are other people using for a single vessel fermention chamber?

The 2.8cf Nucool is the smallest fridge that will fit a standard ale pail/better bottle/carboy, though it's increasingly hard to find these days. Cutting away plastic from the door is usually fine, as there are rarely active elements there, but you shouldn't cut away from the compressor hump at the back of the unit.

With a little of that 2 inch thick insulation, you could build out a smaller mini . I found one on CL for 40 bucks, and it now fits 3 buckets. Without modifying one, you'd probably need a fairly big mini. Those compressor humps ruin it for a lot of them.

I have a Sanyo 4.3 cu ft mini fridge that most internet forums say won't fit a carboy, but I fit a 6.5 gal carboy and 3 piece airlock with about an inch to spare... I did indeed cut most of the plastic shelves off the door, but that panel screws off and can be done easily (I would have loved to just keep the whole panel off, but it holds the seal on the door, and I was too lazy to figure out another way to keep it on). Also I had to take the drip tray out from below the freezer to get a couple extra inches. This puts your airlock awful close to the cooling element, so I switched to vodka instead of water in the airlock (probably unnecessary, but why risk it). There's also room enough if I rather use a blow off hose and a 1 gal growler to run it into. This is one of the most common college dorm fridges and I got my 2 for free...

I'm going to give these a try:

Vissani wine fridge

Right now Home Depot has them on sale for $148.

picked one up today. cracked it to max cold and so far it's got a glass of water down to 62, hoping it can go cooler so i can cold crash. even if it takes a temp controller to get there it seems to be working perfect for fermenting.

picked up that, an O2 rig and my stir plate came in the mail...it's time to brew another beer!! :mug:

Get a Johnson temp controller and you can get (and maintain colder temps). When you plug the cooler in the controller, then the controller into the wall, you bypass the frige's thermo. Just set the controller where you want the upper and lower temps and your set to lager, cold crash or just ferment ales.

Get a Johnson temp controller and you can get (and maintain colder temps). When you plug the cooler in the controller, then the controller into the wall, you bypass the frige's thermo. Just set the controller where you want the upper and lower temps and your set to lager, cold crash or just ferment ales.

haha thanks man, i've got this one handled. i got the vissani 52 btl wine chiller and am ordering the johnson controller on payday.

Manifesto, it's been a little while now, how do you like the wine cooler? I was looking at them today at home depot and they look perfect

Back