Size of fridge for fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BioBeing

Reaction score
What size fridge would I need to make a chamber big enough for say six 5gal batches?

I'm assuming the room will be 80F most of the time. It's above my garage, and only has a small window AC unit. I'd like to be able to larger, but ales are fine too if that's all I could do. I know the differential is the key here, but after that, I'm lost!

OK: let me put it another way. If I get this:

3m83oa3laZZZZZZZZZ93c73d236fb70e2156c.jpg

How big of a ferm chamber like this will I be able to build?

DSCF0086.JPG

It depends on a lot of factors. How good is that fridge? Are you gonna put some fans in there to circulate the air? How good is the insulation? If you just want to do ales, I would say it could be pretty huge with a good fan. For lagers, probably not big at all, but big enough for 3 or 4 carboys probably.

Dunno how good it is yet - picking it up tomorrow. Just trying to get a feel of what I'll be able to do!

Mine is 4' x 2' plus the fridge. I can maintain about 40F at the far end and 36F at the near end.

DSC_0565_13761.JPG

Yeah probably. I currently have 3 cornies, a 20lb tank, and 1 carboy with room to spare.

Got the fridge home, and at coldest setting it was registering about freezing in the fridge compartment after an hour or two. Seems to be OK. Guess I'll aim for about 4 feet then. Thanks again.

Back