Size of CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
Question I have a friend who just gave me a multi tap Keezer and a couple kegs. Would a 5lb tank be large enough for 2 to three kegs at a time?

Sure! I run a six faucet keezer with a 5 pound cylinder. I typically dispense 20 kegs +/- before it's time for a refill...

Cheers!

16 tap keezer with a 5 pound co2 for me. Serves all 16 kegs, maybe get a keg or two more before it needs refilling. Also got a 20cu/ft nitro beergas tank for one tap.

Im firmly in the 20LB camp for the economy of refills. It's about 50% more money for 400% more gas. If portability is a concern, get a second tank at 5LB. It will be a good backup when that 20 eventually surprises you a year and a half later.
I'm in the 20# camp too for the same reasons. $30 gets me a refill or a swapped tank, which seems to be the going rate around here now.

The only times I sometimes wish for a smaller (5#) tank is when I serve beer on location. Schlepping a more than half empty 20# is OK, but a full one is heavy. Around home, 20# all the time. I got one 20# and one 15#.

I don't mind purging/flushing fermentors headspaces with CO2 either, e.g., after adding dry hops, etc. CO2 is there to be used and it's at a fair price, given the amount of time and effort it takes to go from grain to glass.

I’m in the 20# tank group as well. Have it running my 4 tap keezer. I also have a 5# tank that I use for force carbing, cleaning lines, etc.. The 5# gets exchanged. The 20# gets refilled, since I bought it nice and shiney and new.

Started with a 5# tank, now have a 20# for the keezer. Still use the 5# to purge, transfer to kegs, and occasionally to serve from. As Bobby M stated, it cost me $27.50 to fill a 20#, and $17.00 to fill a 5#.

Craigslist is your friend on this one, I got my 5lb for $35 with a Taprite regulator, a 20lb for $50 that was full, and another 20lb with 10lb in it for free. It did take some watching but the deals are there and you might get some gas out of the deal.

I pushed my first 6 kegs with the 5lb then it went dry due to a leak and that was when I moved to a 20. I would suggest as others have to have a spare tank as it will kick on a holiday week right after your supplier sold their last tank and wont get a delivery till the next week.

I was in the 5lb club but it got to be too much when the fire extinguisher place that was convenient stopped doing it for whatever reason. Discovered that the hydroponic store down the street does 20lb swaps at the same price I was filling my 5lb tank at plus they are open until 8pm 7 days a week. Still have the empty 5lb tank kicking around in case I can find some way to refill it that doesn't mean taking time off work to do so

I have a 5 tap and I use 2 tanks. a 20# for JUST CARBONATING and a 5# for serving. I can serve a BOATLOAD of kegs on a 5# tanks if your not carbonating..

Cheers
Jay

Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but I don't think a whole new one is needed for my question.

I've been kegging for about 8 months and I really dig it after bottling for 3 years. One thing that has kind of been bugging me though is that I don't seem to get nearly the "mileage" out of my CO2 that many on here claim to get.

I'm already a few kegs into my 3rd 10lb tank. Here is what I have achieved with all that CO2:

- (6) half-filled 5gal cornies, which were stovetop extract batches I brewed last winter to get a range of beers going on the kegerator quickly, carbonated and served.

- (12) full 5gal cornies, carbonated and served

- all sealing/purging duties for new kegs

- the odd blast of gas to push sanitizer, etc. around.

That's all. Based on what I read here, I feel like I should still be on my first tank. I have checked for leaks multiple times, at every single connection. Not only that, but I've monitored the HP gauge on the regulator for multiple days straight (with photos to be sure) and not seen it decline on its own.

Questions:

- how far off normal am I here in my CO2 mileage?
- what is a typical fill-up pressure (at room temp) for a CO2 tank? I'm wondering if the local shop is stiffing me to get me to come back more often.
Thanks

- what is a typical fill-up pressure (at room temp) for a CO2 tank? I'm wondering if the local shop is stiffing me to get me to come back more often.
Thanks

I just started kegging and am also using a 10lb tank. I've only filled two kegs so far so I can't comment on mileage, but I was thinking I'd get more use out of a tank than you're describing.

The tare weight is stamped on the tank. Next time you fill/exchange the tank, see if it weighs 10 pounds more than the tare weight.

I rarely leave CO2 connected as I irrationally fear tank drainage by the Leak Poltergeists. I have a 20lb tank and it goes 12-18months, but I only make about 14-20 5g batches a year.

Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but I don't think a whole new one is needed for my question.

I've been kegging for about 8 months and I really dig it after bottling for 3 years. One thing that has kind of been bugging me though is that I don't seem to get nearly the "mileage" out of my CO2 that many on here claim to get.

I'm already a few kegs into my 3rd 10lb tank. Here is what I have achieved with all that CO2:

- (6) half-filled 5gal cornies, which were stovetop extract batches I brewed last winter to get a range of beers going on the kegerator quickly, carbonated and served.

- (12) full 5gal cornies, carbonated and served

- all sealing/purging duties for new kegs

- the odd blast of gas to push sanitizer, etc. around.

That's all. Based on what I read here, I feel like I should still be on my first tank. I have checked for leaks multiple times, at every single connection. Not only that, but I've monitored the HP gauge on the regulator for multiple days straight (with photos to be sure) and not seen it decline on its own.

Questions:

Thanks
You can weigh your canister to see if you are getting shorted, there should be a tare weight marked on the tank. Some time the place I get CO2 from will give me 10 or 20lbs on top of what is left is in the tank, other times they fill to 10 or 20lb over the tare.

Purging half full kegs would use quite a bit of CO2 but even with in mind it seems like you are going thru gas faster than normal.

It's tough to say, but it doesn't sound that far out of line to me. I would check for leaks and possibly get a leak detector (flow meter). I go through about twice the co2 as most people quote because I push starsan out of every keg before filling and have a keg full and a picnic tap for general brewing duties.

The pressure of a full co2 tank is the same as an almost empty one due to it being liquid in the tank, weigh it to see if you are getting it full.

I will also say that I would look at getting a 20lb tank due to the cost and the amount you are brewing. I will at least suggest having a second tank for when you run out. FYI you will use the same almost the same amount of co2 for a half full as a full keg.

I will also drop a blatant plug for my 2 20lb co2 tanks that I have for sale if you go that way.

i go through gallon of beer a day 20#'er lasts me a year! and why is it no one has mentioned green house gases yet? all this co2 we're pumping should help reduce heating costs in the winter right? :bott:

I rarely leave CO2 connected as I irrationally fear tank drainage by the Leak Poltergeists. I have a 20lb tank and it goes 12-18months, but I only make about 14-20 5g batches a year.

I might try this method. Just today I received my 2nd regulator that I am going to use to set up a separate carbing tank, so there will never really be a need to leave the gas turned on when I'm not "using" the kegerator.

I have 2 5 lb tanks I have found if I get them filled at the Paintball field ($15) I get 6-7 carbed and served kegs from them however if I go to the Soda store ($22) I get 10-12 kegs carbed and served from them. I asked the guy at the Soda store why his tanks last so much longer he told me it was how he filled them and the paintball place cant do it the same way I don't know if it's true but that's what he told me.

I do keep a 2nd 10lb on hand at all times to protect against empty tanks at inopportune times. I just went downstairs and weighed my spare tank using a luggage scale and it weighed exactly tare + 10, so at least I can rule out unscrupulous business practices on the part of the shop.

Ah well, I'm not going to fret much about it for now. I guess I'll just monitor the mileage I get when I start using the kegerator tank for serving only, turning it off when not in use, while a separate tank is used for carbonating.

I do keep a 2nd 10lb on hand at all times to protect against empty tanks at inopportune times. I just went downstairs and weighed my spare tank using a luggage scale and it weighed exactly tare + 10, so at least I can rule out unscrupulous business practices on the part of the shop.

Ah well, I'm not going to fret much about it for now. I guess I'll just monitor the mileage I get when I start using the kegerator tank for serving only, turning it off when not in use, while a separate tank is used for carbonating.

If you carb to the point where your keg reach equilibrium before switching to your serving tank and turn off the gas between sessions you might be able to actually hear gas flow when you turn it back on if you have a leak somewhere. That is assuming no one pours beer with the gas off. If you hear gas flow and you have individual shut-offs you might be able to narrow it down to particular keg(s).

3rd 10 pounder in 8 months! You must really drink a lot.;)
I never turn gas off on my serving tank, I rigorously tested for leaks when I built it all. If the system has no leaks when its built, it is unlikely they will magically appear.

Do make sure you check the fiber washer(maybe plastic in your case) where the regulator fits to the tank valve. It could be broken or compromised in some way and allowing co2 to escape. I have had one(plastic type) that had developed an indentation on one side from the tank valve, when I inadvertently put it in backwards one day, I was at the LHBS refilling that tank the next day.:mad:

I have since switched to these

https://www.kegworks.com/star-seal-...MI5avK3s-x3gIVCcZkCh16Ag8AEAQYAiABEgI_t_D_BwE

Having the gas on or off to the kegs should not make a difference if you have no leaks.

Agreed, but I guess my feeling is that I probably do have a leak somewhere even though I haven't found it after checking multiple times. It's the only answer that really makes sense if guys here are getting just as much mileage (or more) out of 5lb tanks that I am getting out of 10.

I did get in on a local bulk-buy of used kegs, I wonder if a few of them have bad seals...? I use keg lube on the lid and whenever I fill a keg I seal it with ~40psi and check for leaks around the lid and posts. To date, I've never seen one.

Saying this, I guess it makes me realize I forgot to mention the "sealing" part when I was listing my CO2 usage. I just kind of lump that together with the purging process. Maybe that has something to do with the low mileage? The headspace is so small, it seems hard to believe it would matter that much.

Agreed, but I guess my feeling is that I probably do have a leak somewhere even though I haven't found it after checking multiple times. It's the only answer that really makes sense if guys here are getting just as much mileage (or more) out of 5lb tanks that I am getting out of 10.

I did get in on a local bulk-buy of used kegs, I wonder if a few of them have bad seals...? I use keg lube on the lid and whenever I fill a keg I seal it with ~40psi and check for leaks around the lid and posts. To date, I've never seen one.

Saying this, I guess it makes me realize I forgot to mention the "sealing" part when I was listing my CO2 usage. I just kind of lump that together with the purging process. Maybe that has something to do with the low mileage? The headspace is so small, it seems hard to believe it would matter that much.

vasaleine or keg lube for the o-rings helped me fix leaks....and they need to be replaced every 4-5 years....

Back