Six-String Brewing Co. e-Herms build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice9

Reaction score
I've been throwing around the idea of going electric for the last couple of years. I've finally decided to pull the trigger on acquiring parts for my build. I'm going to start with 2 62qt Bayou stainless pots utilizing my existing mash-tun, a 70qt Colman Xtreme cooler.

This is the schematic that I'm going I be using.
Auberin-wiring1-a17e--SYL-2352-5500w.jpg

Thanks P-J!

I'm going to start with one pump while planning to eventually add a second one.

I've purchased most of the electronics and just picked up an order from Grainger today along with receiving an order from Auber. I have an e-stop button that should be here in the couple of days.

I'm looking forward to getting into this build and eventually brewing with electricity!

image-1358811099.jpg

Here's what I'm going to be using for my control box. I'm going to have the removable side panel water-jet cut for the component mounting locations.

image-1130904553.jpg

This is a great idea, considering the built-in case ventilation equipment.

that is an awesome idea. i have a ton of old computer cases collecting dust... time for a new control panel.

And the best part is that it was free! I should be able to utilize some plexiglas to make it more water resistant where the mesh is at the front and back of the case.

I had my panel text printed at work. Unfortunately some of the text started coming of the last time I rinsed and cleaned it. I still have to cut the holes for the PID and timer. I put all of the switches, lights and buttons in place to see how it looked. Turned out great!

image-4040219378.jpg

image-2643565425.jpg

image-142842246.jpg

Finished and tested my spa panel.

image-1254344312.jpg

Drilled holes for an articulating flat screen mount and cut the holes for the ssr and heatsink.

image-4189328177.jpg

Started on the internal wiring. I've got the ground and neutral circuits finished at this point.

Computer case! Brilliant!
Articulated flat screen mount! Also brilliant!

You're on a roll.

One thing: it looks like you have your e-stop wired into neutral. That should be ground.

Completed the wiring today. I just finished testing everything and it works great. I'll be working on getting the elements wired up and assembled this weekend.

image-3504782777.jpg

image-631607175.jpg

I love it!

You can leave the computer power supply in tact and get +12 and +5 volts too!
(Google the pins in the motherboard connector to get it to turn on - You can cut them and install a switch!)

I'm actually shocked nobody did that before

Very nice! I really like the coil through the lid, I'm doing a HERMS as well and now I can't decide on the lid mount or side mount.

Sorry to side track this thread a little, but I am still trying to grasp the concept of the eHERMS. The HERMS, copper coil, sits in the HLT with a controlled strike water of say 155*, while recirculating the wort from the MLT through the HERMS and pouring back over top of the grain bed? Doing this for the entire mash? If this is the process, how are you getting by with only one pump? Are you manually switching hoses throughout the process? Secondly, are the displaced ball valves to create a vortex effect for pulling all the trub out?

Ice9 - How long does it take you to get a rolling boil out of the MLT? Looking to do a set up very similar to yours. How did you build/bend that HERMS? Are those weldless ball valves? Also, how close is it with a 10 gallon batch boil going in those 15.5 gallon kettles? Did you wish you went to 20 gallons to be safe? How was drilling the Bayou pots? I am looking to use their 20 gallon kettles. Where did you get your weldless valves, sight glass, etc?

Back