Six Row Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasgeorge

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm putting together my first effort in an attempt to come up with a reasonable clone for Bridgeport ESB. I think I've gone thru a case or so of the real stuff, taking notes along the way, and have a question about a malt profile.

Based on Bridgeport's label of 6.1% ABV, and a hydrometer reading I took of one before drinking, I figure my OG will be somewhere in the 1.059 range.

I've noticed that this beer has a light golden (say ~1 lb of 40L in a 5-gallon batch), but it has a little bit of a dark undertone (maybe a couple oz of chocolate malt). The mouthfeel of the beer is a little "bready" maybe, but not Biscuit Malt-like. Since the beer is a little murky behind the golden color, and going along that mouthfeel I described, could this be achieved by substituting a small amount of 6-row malt (say ~1-2 lb) instead of some of the standard 2-row base malt. :confused:

I'm thinking something along the lines of this for a AG batch:

8 (or 9) lb American 2-row
2 (or 1) lb American 6-row
1 lb Crystal 40L
1 oz Chocolate Malt (350L).

At 75% efficiency, Promash says this will give me an OG of 1.059 and an estimated color of 10.0 SRM. I expect the 6-row to add that murkiness and "sticky" mouthfeel. Is that a fair expectation? And how does the grain bill look as a whole?

Extremely Tentative hop schedule for all you hopheads out there (50.9 IBU's on this one... maybe a bit too much for a true clone)

1.5 oz Willamette 60m (35.3 IBU) -- can cut this down to 1.0 oz for 39.0 IBU total.
1.0 oz Cascade 15m (7.2)
1.0 oz Cascade 5m (4.5)
1.0 oz EK Goldings 5m (3.7)

Thoughts? Concerns? Anyone?

Don't expect much tangible difference between 6 row and 2 row. I sometimes substitute one for the other without any real effect.

Back