six months in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddouglas

Reaction score
I have two 5 gallon batches of beer in primary buckets. They've both been sitting undisturbed with relatively steady temperatures (70 to 75 degrees F) for 6 to 7 months. One batch is a French Saison, the other is a Belgian Dubbel, both about 10% abv. Both my brewing & general consumption of beer have drastically decreased this year (homeschooling, COVID, not having company over, etc., etc.), which has meant a delay in getting these batches bottled. So here are my questions: 1. Do I need to be in a rush to get these batches bottled given how long they've already been in their fermenting buckets? 2. When I do bottle (in 1 liter flip-top bottles), do I need to do anything special such as add some yeast? I'm in uncharted territory here (for me), so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, and cheers!

I’d bottle sooner rather than later, if anything to minimize O2 uptake. I think you could get away with standard bottling practices, especially if you’re not in a hurry to start opening them in 2 or 3 weeks, it sounds like you’re not. That said, extra yeast probably wouldn’t hurt with the extended time and high gravity of been.

have they been sealed pretty well? Airlock undisturbed? if been at stable 70-75 degrees and no peeking inside the ferm...you are probably ok. Your nose should tell you when you bottle.

Back