Sitrep: First Pressure Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing my first pressure fermentation, started on the night of 2/7. The OG was 1.056, and the beer's pressure was too high to register the next day, so I dropped it to about 12 psi. The temperature is about 68. I used Fermcap in the fermenter and the boil. I pitched one packet of 34/70.

I got maybe an inch of krausen and very vigorous fermentation. I could see all sorts of stuff going up and down in there. Yesterday the krausen collapsed. Today it looks like someone threw a handful of cinnamon on top of the beer.

I guess what I want to know is whether all this sounds normal for a pressure-fermented lager. I was told it should be ready to keg after 5 days in the fermenter, and if that's true, I should be able to move it on 2/13.

Do I need to do anything with this beer after kegging it, or is pressure so miraculous the beer will be ready to drink?

Today it looks like someone threw a handful of cinnamon on top of the beer.
that's not unexpected, i've see that happen.

Do I need to do anything with this beer after kegging it, or is pressure so miraculous the beer will be ready to drink?
what do you normally do to your lagers, or beer in general, after kegging it? i assume you've already transferred it to your serving keg... if so, you can use gelatin if you want it to clear faster, otherwise lager it (store it cold) until it's to your liking in terms of taste and clarity.

Back