Siphoning from kettle vs dumping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54BelAir

Reaction score
My kettle has a ball valve on the bottom. Instead of siphoning the cooled wort into the frementor I normally I just open the valve up and let 'er rip.

I end up with most of the trub in the fermentor. Other than loss when transferring out , is there a problem with letting that much trub into the fermentor?

No. Jamil Z. says that hot break material can impact flavor, but that's never been my experience. I've had the same results when siphoning/pouring/straining/dumping and found no impact.

Right now, I have a pump that clogs with leaf hops so I tend to bag them, and my diptube is at the side of the BK so some of the heavier break material settles in the bottom in the middle and I don't get as much in the fermenter as I used to. But I have a CFC, and all of the cold break makes it into the fermenter. I don't make better (or worse) beer regardless.

Good. One less thing to worry about sanitation wise. Plus I would be a little upset if had spent all that money on a pot with a valve in couldn't use.

See http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-1.html

I also have a ball valve on my kettle. I use a CFC, a false bottom, and whole hops.
Most of the hot break gets trapped by the hops, or settles to the bottom of the kettle, but the cold break gets generated in the CFC and ends up in the fermenter. When I make a light lager, I use the CFC (which gets the wort down to about 70), and put the carboy in the freezer, then rack into another carboy, leaving the trub behind when it has got down to about 50. This gives me good results. The first time I made a lager, I didn't rack to a secondary carboy, and had an unidentified off flavor which persisted for almost a year. I've never had that off flavor since, but I can't guarantee that it was because of the trub.

-a.

I added a valve. and a side pick up tube to my kettle. I've done 2 things...1) I'll siphon off about the first quart and dump to get rid of some trub....2) I don't worry about the trub I get. Either way, I always use the valve and I do BIAB, so I end up with a good bit of trub after the boil.

Just one more reason I should have bought a Blichmann instead of the Polarware. Live and learn.

Back