Single-tier custom brewstand (and electric help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimpdx

Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I really liked the look of the Alpha Street Ruby system which is sized to handle my larger 30-40G mash and boil kettles for 15-25G batches. However the price was a *bit* out of my reach. Fortunately I helped a brew club member to make the all grain brewing transition and it turns out he owns a machine shop for manufacturing metal components and offered to weld something together.

I already had one pump and two burners and I picked up the rest on Craigslist. The plumbing was much simpler than I thought once I picked up the black pipe, valves and propane hoses (and high-heat spray paint).

My only remaining project is to wire a junction box with two switches for pump controls. Could anyone point me to a relevant post with instructions? I'd rather not splice the pump wiring but I can if I need to. Seems like it should be a simple design? One power line coming in, two switches, etc. Appreciate any help you might have!

2015-09-20 14.56.04.jpg

2015-09-20 14.56.49.jpg

2015-09-20 14.57.10.jpg

2015-09-20 14.56.20.jpg

2015-09-20 14.56.39.jpg

2015-08-30 10.57.21.jpg

Beautiful job on that stand!! One thing I noticed is your inlet on your pump is facing up and the outlet is pointing down. You might not have a problem with that configuration, but if you are they will work much better with the inlet pointing down and the outlet pointing up. The pumps will prime better and release air bubbles in the line. You can also use a bleed valve to get rid of the air bubbles too, especially if the pump cavitates if you use it to recirculate during the boil. Here is a link to a post with excellent info on the subject.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=306814

Lots of luck brewing!

John

Last edited:
Back