Single Step BIAB vs Step Mash for brewing a 1Gal Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kunal Vanjare

Reaction score
Hello guys, as the title suggests, I am ready to brew a 1Gal BIAB batch of Pale Ale. Recipe is as follows :-

PA 2-row : 80%
Munich : 6.7%
Crystal 60L : 6.7%
Dextrine : 6.7%
Magnum : 3.5g @60
Centennial : 5.5g @15
Centennial : 6g @0
Cascade : 8g dry hop for 5 days
Citra : 8g dry hop for 5 days
Yeast : S-04

OG : 1.06, IBU : 38.5

I was wondering if you guys could suggest the mash method here. I have been reading about this and can't seem to decide as the opinion on this is quite divided. The recipe calls for 1.2g mash with 0.2g of 'pour hot water over the bag' sparge. Can't I just go for a 1.5g single step mash? I will ensure I meet my Pre-boil volume.

Also, this is the first time I am using Dextrine. So would like to know if you follow the same approach as with other malts.

Feel free to suggest any modifications in the recipe. Thanks
:slight_smile:
:)

What you are referring to is a "full volume" mash, where the grains (in the bag) are mashed with all the water at once. The bag is then removed, allowed to fully drain, and you proceed to boil. This is the simplest method, and is 100% fine!

You may get slightly higher extract, or efficiency, from the small sparge, but the difference will not be significant. Do whatever suits you.

Yes, all malts are mashed together, including the dextrine malt.

What you are referring to is a "full volume" mash, where the grains (in the bag) are mashed with all the water at once. The bag is then removed, allowed to fully drain, and you proceed to boil. This is the simplest method, and is 100% fine!

You may get slightly higher extract, or efficiency, from the small sparge, but the difference will not be significant. Do whatever suits you.

Yes, all malts are mashed together, including the dextrine malt.
Got it! Might just skip the fly sparge altogether.

Back