Single burner brew stand...with sketchup design/measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaRed

Reaction score
I know there are a few of these out there, but I just wanted to post this for anyone that doesn't want to go through the effort of measuring / figuring out everything to make one. Or if someone just wants to print them and take them to a fab shop.

The burner is a BG14 style burner from Bayou:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The stand with these dimensions uses about 21 ft of 1" tubing. About $30 depending on where you are. Check scrap yards if you are trying to save some cash. I had a friend with a bunch of left over so that's what we used here.

I'm actually going to use this with natural gas, so you have to get a different orifice. Originally, I planned on using a donor turkey fryer stand until I couldn't find where it went. Plus I was a bit worried about the strength and wobbliness since I am using a 26 gallon pot for BIAB. I opted to use 1" square tubing to keep the weight down as 2" is more costly and really unnecessary.

Only thing different that I did that isn't shown in the sketchup plans is adding some extra braces for the legs. I had some material left over and it makes it very easy to put a clamp on the brace to get the legs to a perfect 90 degree in case you get some twisting or not a perfect 90 when you tack the legs on.

The opening square where the burner actually goes in is a little bit wider than it needs to be, as I wanted to be sure I left enough room in case the windscreen wasn't strong enough to hold the weight of the burner. If that ends up being the case, I'll just toss in the appropriate thickness of flat stock to fill in the difference.

So hopefully this saves someone looking to build a stand some design time. Brew on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great!!

Thanks. Just got the windscreen tacked on last night. I ended up adding some bar stock on it so the burner hangs off of that instead of the windscreen. Just need to drill some holes for various mounting heights tonight and it'll be done until it gets warm enough to wire wheel and paint.

Really looks good. Are you doing a square windscreen? Do you have pictures with the windscreen installed?

Ya I bent it as a square. Just measure, clamp it to the frame, clamp a 2x4 to the sheet and you have a mini sheet metal brake. Perfect bends everytime. It looks kind of crazy in these pictures because it's all sorts of different colors due to the welding heat, rusted metal, and shiny metal from grinding off any welds that stick above and could possibly interfere. But once it gets painted, it'll look factory.

Nice build. I'm starting to think of another burner soon. I've killed the first two I had. The first was about 60,000 btu's the one I have now is a jet burner with about 110,000 btu's. What's the btu rating on this burner and what regulator assembly did you buy?

I have a 0-30 now fitted to my old 0-20 hose assembly and it's looking a little shoddy as well.

Nice build. I'm starting to think of another burner soon. I've killed the first two I had. The first was about 60,000 btu's the one I have now is a jet burner with about 110,000 btu's. What's the btu rating on this burner and what regulator assembly did you buy?

I have a 0-30 now fitted to my old 0-20 hose assembly and it's looking a little shoddy as well.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm

That should answer all your questions.

Includes air shutter and spring.
Includes orifice.
May be used with 20 and 30 PSI regulator.
BTU rating determind by the PSIs of your regulator.

High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner Description:

The Bayou Classic High Pressure Banjo Burner is one of Bayou Classic’s most powerful cast iron burners. This cast iron burner is the same burner found in the KAB4 outdoor propane burner. The BTUs of this burner can produce over 210,000 BTUs plus! In order to obtain a nice, crisp flame, you will need at least high PSI regulator. For best results, we suggest purchasing a regulator (7850, 0-30 PSI), a propane hose (7906, 7908, 7910) and orifice (5235). The face of this cast iron burner measures 10 inches in diameter.

Many people have asked us for a BTU for this cast iron propane burner. The actual cast iron element (burner) does not determine the BTUs. The regulator determines the BTUs. You can use the 30 PSI regulator kit with it.

Back