Simpsons DRC is my new favorite malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's like a dark crystal, but not overwhelming, plus a not-at-all-astringent roast that lingers for the aftertaste. I'm going to put it into everything now: my schwarzbier, my rauchbier, my Vienna lager, my dubbel ... everything. What's left over I'm going to eat straight, by the pound. If I could stuff my pillow with DRC and sleep on it, I would.

Thought I'd share.

I used some in my latest IRS, but it's not like I can really pick it out of such a big beer....

I used Simpson's DRC in my old ale. Coming in at 11.6% of the grist. Used MO as the base (83.7%), along with flaked barley (2.3%) and cherry wood smoked malt (also 2.3%) in the recipe. Came out really good, with all the complex flavors of DRC. I had it on tap during my end of summer Brew 'n Q gathering. Lots of positive comments about it.

I used Simpson's DRC in my old ale. Coming in at 11.6% of the grist. Used MO as the base (83.7%), along with flaked barley (2.3%) and cherry wood smoked malt (also 2.3%) in the recipe. Came out really good, with all the complex flavors of DRC. I had it on tap during my end of summer Brew 'n Q gathering. Lots of positive comments about it.

But, will you be eating it by the pound?

Laugh if you like! I make a point of tasting a bit of plain malt before brewing with it, to see what flavors it brings to the table. Pale malt is ok, Pilsner a little unpleasantly grassy, Maris Otter is tasty, worth scooping up another handful … but DRC I just kept eating it. It’s that good.

Laugh if you like! I make a point of tasting a bit of plain malt before brewing with it, to see what flavors it brings to the table. Pale malt is ok, Pilsner a little unpleasantly grassy, Maris Otter is tasty, worth scooping up another handful … but DRC I just kept eating it. It’s that good.
Ok, one of the malts I got yesterday was some DRC.
You're absolutely right, I think it's delicious as a snack. It has a nice toasty flavor.

I was imagining something like...
GUEST_b0c48774-fae6-4e8c-9ed8-847c130f668d

Come to think of it, maybe Grape Nuts would be an interesting adjunct to try in a brew.

I'm thinking of highlighting the DRC in a Porter.

Back