Simple PID Wiring.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasky7777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I want this Auber SYL-2342 to run a fan to maintain smoker temps. I think the diagrams below are what I need to wire the fan and the alarm
View attachment 410532
What I don't get is that it looks like the "heater" or in my case fan gets neutral power, but the hot goes to pin 8 and not to the fan. Is that right?
Also how would I wire 1 alarm buzzer? Jump a hit wire to 13 and a neutral from 1 to the buzzer and back to 14?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1502556113.203610.jpg

The diagrams are correct for your usage if you want the fan to come on to increase the temperature inside the smoker. Inside the PID there is a relay that connects terminal 8 to terminal 7 when the PID is calling for heat. When the relay is activated (closed) terminal 7 is connected to power (coming from terminal 8), and thus the fan gets power.

Brew on :mug:

That is not a neutral coming from terminal 7 to the plug. That is the switched hot line. The relay inside the PID is just an electrically operated switch, that connects terminal 8 to terminal 7 when activated. Since the hot line is connected to terminal 8, hot is connected to terminal 7, when, and only when, the relay is activated by the PID.

Based on your questions, I'm concerned that you don't know enough about electricity and circuits to be able to safely complete this project by yourself. I strongly recommend that you get a friend, relative, co-worker, etc, that has more knowledge than you, to help you with this. Electricity can kill you, or burn down your house, if mistakes are made. This is not something to take chances with.

Brew on :mug:

You are right I am learning, this isn't my first project I've successfully completed, but I have a journeyman electrician that checks my work.
I think my confusion is they are using a black line to designate the neutral and then black again from 7 to the heater, so I used the incorrect terminology.
Thanks for the clarification

To be honest that picture doesn't look like a very safe mounting of electrical components. Seems like you just jammed some parts in through the wall and tried to glue (?) them into place? No cable relief or anything.. Seems like you can accidentally yank one of those outlets (?) out of the wall and then the cables will come off and might cause a short. That kind of wiring is at best, very dodgy.

Thanks for the comment smellyglove, the components are held in with tabs and can't move, I siliconed around them as this is for a smoker and will be used outside. I'll also be using a GFI plug.

Back