Simple Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
I started by brewing 2 gallons, MR BEER. Now I brew BIAB still 2 gallons, ale usually. Is there a simple recipe for a lager that does not require raising and lowering temperatures during fermentation. Not out to brew medal beers. Is it possible to simply pitch the yeast on ANY lager, leave it and get a drinkable beer? My dorm fridge starts at 59deg down to 36 and can hold 2 mr. Beer kegs.

It sounds like you should be able to ferment pretty easily in the target range of 45-50 F for basic lagers. This is how I do it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49872

Sometimes I'll raise the beers temperature (diacetyl rest) at the end of fermentation just to make sure, but when I don't I've never had a problem. Then just lager / cold condition it for an extended period of time- 1 month for a lower gravity lager seems to work fine for me. The low end of your fridge temp range of 36 will work great.

Go for it.

I started by brewing 2 gallons, MR BEER. Now I brew BIAB still 2 gallons, ale usually. Is there a simple recipe for a lager that does not require raising and lowering temperatures during fermentation. Not out to brew medal beers. Is it possible to simply pitch the yeast on ANY lager, leave it and get a drinkable beer? My dorm fridge starts at 59deg down to 36 and can hold 2 mr. Beer kegs.

A lager beer needs to ....... well, lager. Otherwise it would be an ale. I lager yeast at ale temperatures is an ale with lager yeast. It would likely be a good drinkable beer but not a lager. You seem to have the right equipment to do it for now. Fermentation is done at 48 - 50 till its a couple points away from your target FG, then a diacetyl rest for a day or two at around 70, then into a secondary and "Lager" it at 33 - 34 (36 will work) for about a month +or-. The lagering process mellows the flavors over time and everything drops out of suspension and should leave you a nice relatively clear smooth tasting beer. Once you make a good lager, you'll be hooked.

Don't get me wrong, there are very good tasting ales out there. I'll do ales especially when I need to stock up a few kegs in the multi keg kegerator (mine holds 8) quickly but IMO there's nothing like a well made lager. I always have at least two lagers on tap. The staple is a good clean German or Czech Pils. The other is usually a back lager or and amber / Marzen or Vienne.

2015-07-12 18.00.35.jpg

2015-02-01 17.06.18.jpg

A pretty simple basic lager is:

95% Pilsner malt
5% Carapils
8 oz acidulated malt (for mash pH)
35 IBU's of German hops (Hallertauer, Perle, etc)

German lager yeast or Mexican Lager yeast, ferment at 55F

A lot of people here are suggesting use a lager yeast at low ale temps, which a lot of people are having success with. I've heard good things about Wyeast 2124 being used at temps into the low 60s.

You could also try using hybrid yeasts that have a preferred temp range around 58-62. Like Wyeast 1007, or a Kolsh or California Common strain.

How well can you control that dorm fridge's temp range?

Cold crashing and lagering for 6 weeks or so after primary fermenation is done would be preferable, especially for yeast that doesn't flocculate and drop out. Your fridge should be capable of doing that at its colder setting. If you can't transfer to secondary and adjust the temps after primary fermentation is finished, pay attention to what yeast you select and how well it flocculates. If the yeast settles out pretty quickly, then I'd say bottle after 3 weeks in primary and just keep the bottles at that temp for another month.

My concern is that you won't reliably control the temperature of the fridge without a temperature controller which it doesn't sound like you have. You may have some big swings in temperature. Or you might not, but proceed with caution.

I brew what I call a golden ale with WLP810 San Fran lager I ferment at 59f until its around 15 points from done. Then I let it rise slowly to 68 til its done. Then I lager it for 30 days. Not a true lager but its a mighty fine beer. Pale malt, carapils, crystal 20 easy!

Back