Simple IC enhancement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 25 ft copper IC with a 5 ft pre-chiller attached. I was wondering if there is anything simple I might be able to do to increase its efficiency. The only thing I have come up with is to add salt to the pre-chiller ice bath to bring down the temp. Is there anything else anyone would recommend?

While it might not be the simplest, I gained a lot more efficiency out of my chiller with a whirlpool set up for my kettle. Even the manual stirring method with a sanitized spoon can do wonders.

How would one go about setting something like that up? My initial thought as soon as I read your post was to fashion something I could attach to my drill.

nukebrewer said:
I have a 25 ft copper IC with a 5 ft pre-chiller attached. I was wondering if there is anything simple I might be able to do to increase its efficiency. The only thing I have come up with is to add salt to the pre-chiller ice bath to bring down the temp. Is there anything else anyone would recommend?

I think the consensus here is that pre-chillers are pretty inefficient with ICs. Most people use a small pond pump to circulate ice water directly through the IC after hitting the temperature of their tap water. Maybe a longer coil on your pre-chiller would help.

nukebrewer said:
Thanks for that suggestion. I'll see if the finance department will authorize the expenditure on a pond pump.

Check out Mrmalty.com, under articles, there is a build of an IC with a whirlpool arm for what Hammy referred to. You need a pump for that one too, though.

Regarding the whirlpool action, all you really need to do is have the water circulating around the chiller. It doesn't even need to be too aggressive. As mentioned above, just simple stirring with a spoon works.

I think he was talking about whirlpooling the BK. MrMalty had a return mounted on his IC to return wort back to the BK in a manner that caused a whirlpool action to happen without stirring.
I added the return to the top of my BK (mounted in the side with a QD) so i could pump the wort back into the BK and get the same action. I still use the IC and the efficiency has greatly improved as long as the ground water is cool enough.

I really like the idea from mrmalty, but I think I'll give the manual stirring a try first. I've spent nearly $600 in the past 3 days on brewing gear and I still need to buy ingredients for two brews this weekend. I'm going to build up some more credit before I make another equipment upgrade.

Regarding the whirlpool action, all you really need to do is have the water circulating around the chiller. It doesn't even need to be too aggressive. As mentioned above, just simple stirring with a spoon works.

Very true but I take this opportunity to aerate my wort and a more vigorous stir seems to do the trick.

Back