Simple Brew Timer (working version!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yuri,

First of all, thanks for the timer. I'm using it as we speak for my current brew session - two 5 gallon batches from the same mash. In fact, this is why I downloaded your software: so I can monitor timing on two different batches of wort boiling at the same time with differing hop/adjunct addition schedules.

All are working beautifully. I have two suggestions, however, for future releases:
  1. A toggle to turn off the "tick-tock" sound as the timer is counting down. With two or more going at the same time, they are kind of annoying.
  2. A way to show the countdown timer in the Windows tool bar so if you do have two or more running, or if you simply have the timers minimized, you can get a visual of the time left without having to CNTL-Tab or click.

I develop brewing software myself (BrewBlogger) and I know how time-consuming feature requests can be. Please consider adding these to your list.

Prost, my friend!

The tick-tock sound? I never included one or built functionality for it. Perhaps it's triggering a Windows sound event, but I have no idea why.

The task bar text is a very simple feature. I'll certainly include it!

The tick-tock sound? I never included one or built functionality for it. Perhaps it's triggering a Windows sound event, but I have no idea why.
Wait, nevermind. The sound I was hearing was actually the ALERT sound. My bad.

With that in mind, I'll echo another's suggestion to have that alert be customizable so I can use a loud klaxon sound or something...

Again, thanks for the timer it's working out awesome for me (now that I've figured out the alert sound).

Cheers,

This looks great Yuri, thanks for your time and effort!

Feature Suggestions:

- Increase the number of alerts available or allow user config for total number
- Add dialog for custom sounds
- Include a system tray icon
- Allow window resize

Yuri,

What would it take to launch the timer from one of the brewing software applications with the hops/additions/times/etc. auto-populated?

For example, I author and use BrewBlogger, which is browser based. Could I embed the timer in a browser window and pass the necessary information for auto population via headers or the URL or directly from MySQL using php? I'm a Java neophyte.

Just thinking ahead...

Geoff

Java is multi-platform by nature. I won't be modifying it to include any platform-specific code. If it doesn't run on your Blackberry, the installed JRE is too proprietary.

You should just be able to download it and open the file.

See, I told you I was an idiot. lol

I did try that and nothing had happend so I updated my java and was trying to run it thru a dos promt. Now I click on the file and it works. Must have been my old java. :mug:

All of the Simple Timer functions run correctly in Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1, but the UI needs some tweaking. The Total Time and Alerts time fields are all too narrow. For example, if I run the Total Time field past 9 minutes, all I see is "1" in the field - the "0" is cut off.

But as others have said, this simple, clean timer rocks!

Mark

Yuri,

This is a great little app. It seems that the project has become stagnant. And if you are interesting in parting with the source code at all I would like to resurrect it, or at least make modifications that I would like to see to it and repost my additions.

Back