Simple bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to bottle tonight and was wondering about technique. I'll be using the dishwasher, but should I fill all the bottles at once and then cap them. Or fill one bottle and then cap it, and so on. I've got a bottlling bucket and bottle filler. Also, I'm a bit paranoid about having carbonation problems. The plan is to boil the priming sugar, put in the bottling bucket then rack into the bucket with the hose on the bottom to swirl. Will this be sufficent to mix the primer and the beer? I've heard of people carefully stirring so as not to aerate.

That's what I do- rack the beer into the dissolved priming solution in the bottling bucket. I've never stirred it- just laid the tubing at the bottom in a circle, so that the beer swirls in and mixes without aerating. Some people do gently stir with a sanitized long handled spoon and it doesn't harm the beer.

I usually bottle alone, so when I do, I fill whatever fits on the dishwasher door, then lift them to the counter and cap those. Probably about 15 or so at a time. Then I close the dishwasher door while I cap, so that when I put the new bottles on to fill, most of the spilled beer is out of the dishwasher door and into the dishwasher. It works very well.

I slowly stir with a long handled spoon for about 3-4 mins. I keep my sanitized caps nearby and just lay a cap on top of the bottles after every 2-3 beers, then I crimp them all down at the end. That's just my method, but it works for me. Do whatever works for you, as long as the priming sugar is mixed well.

Is there any instant way to tell if the bottle has been capped properly? I know about the balloon, but I would like to know right away.

I'd just use the racking cane. (To stir with.) It's been (hopefully) sanitized, and will work. Besides, your product has already been exposed to it.

steve

To be honest with you, the thought of a cap not being on securely, never crossed my mind. (probably will now though :) ). But I have never had a problem with a bottle being improperly capped. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

One way to tell right away if the cap is on tight is to tilt the bottle upside down. If you get drips, it's not sealed good. This method isn't foolproof, but it's fairly accurate. I did that with some red stripe bottles because my wing capper wouldn't always make a good seal on it.

Back