simple all grain idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoch79

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have never done an all grain so I don't know much about the recipes but obviously there are a lot of them out there. Since there are so many ways to make good beer I'm curious if it would be possible to make, at the very least, a decent beer with just randomly throwing some grains and hops together. Say for example 10-15 pounds of briess 2 row and varying amounts of hops. and that's it. Plain and simple and no need for a little bit of this and a little bit of that times 10. Just a curiousity since beer at its simplest form is simply just that...malt and hops. Thanks.

Indeed. It is called a SMaSH.
Single Malt and Single Hops.

It is a fantastic way to learn about the flavor and characteristics of ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My simple 5 gallon pale recipe consists of 10 lbs grain. 9lbs 2 row or marris otter, 1lb crystal(40 or 60L). 1 oz bittering (Simcoe, centennial) at 60 min, and 1 oz of cascade split at 15 min and flame out. Dry yeast is US-05 sprinkled after cool down. Ferment for 3 weeks and 2+ weeks in the bottle(after priming the batch with dextrose).

9 lbs vienna and .5 oz Northern Brewer Hops at 60, and 20 and 5 is a great SMaSH, mash at 153 deg for60 to 75 min

super simple and it is a great tasting beer.

Cheers :mug:

Thanks for responding. Good to know this. I'll have to do some experiments some day

Back