Silver Solder help in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone from Vancouver BC, hope there is someone that can steer me in the right direction towards a silver solder that will work for soldering couplers into my keggles. Up here we seem to have a very limited selection and I have searched a bunch of different threads hoping for some answers but all I have come up with is that you can use silver bearing solder and a liquid flux.... no brand names that you are able to find up here on the west coast. Most stores you go into have this brand, bernzomatic. There is one silver bearing solder in their lineup but is the flux ok for stainless?

Go to a welding shop and get a small bottle of StayBright liquid flux (it will say for any metal except aluminum).
The solder doesn't have to be silver solder, in fact you don't want it to be (it has a melting temp of around 800F I think). Use any modern lead free solder, which has a melting temp of around 400F (I think).

Acidrain is correct, the flux is the key not the solder. If you can't find a liquid flux you could try muriatic (HCl) acid since it's what liquid fluxes are based on. I haven't tried this but it looks like it will work in theory.

yes focus on the right flux, any lead free, silver based solder will work with stainless to stainless applications.

you need StayBright liquid flux..

Back