silly pot sorb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5327echo

Reaction score
I'm bottling a small batch of Apfelwein ...or at least I planned on it this weekend...

I've made 3-4 batches in the past...and carbed up fine in flip tops w .75 cup corn sugar/5 gallon...

anyway... my question...though I have been planning on bottle carbing this all along...I stabilized it with pot sorb (out of habit from wine making maybe I dont know...but I dont think I did this with the last couple Apfelwein batches...)

I've let this sit now for an additional 2-3 weeks under airlock just staring at it.. ...

am I still going to get normal bottle carb action? or did I just kill my chances along with all the yeasties who would normally allow for the carb process to occur...

I'm not set up for force carb...

??

You will have to re-yeast it. When you boil your sugar solution for carbing, let it cool and rack the apfelwein on to it and a pack of yeast. You have to make sure the yeast gets evenly distributed. It would be better to make a starter and rack onto some yeast sludge off of the bottom.

another way you could do it would be to carefully sprinkle a couple grains of dry yeast into each bottle before you cap it.

In the future, dont stabilize stuff you want to bottle carb

Potassium sorbate doesn't actually kill yeast; it's birth control. So, any viable cells still in the cider will be able to carbonate, but it will be very, very, very slow. I stabilize my ciders, back-sweeten and force-carbonate 'em using a Tap-a-Draft and I've had TaD bottles that developed a little carbonation after a couple months.

Back